Remote Access Connection Mananger - New Connection Manager - Windows Update errors!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by p3dro, Jun 20, 2006.

1. p3dro

p3dro Private E-2

Hello all, I'm back!

Chaslang has very kindly been helping me rid a pc of Malware and I now need to tackle the original problem I posted on here for....

...please see the following thread (or perhaps an admin would be kind enough to merge here?)

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=801968#post801968

Basically, the problem is:

1) When in a browser window, tools, internet options, connections, add - I can't add a new connection...the error I get is: Error 711: Cannot load the remote access connection manager service. A configuration error on this computer is preventing this connection.
    When I try stopping /starting the Remote Access Connection Manager (and dependecies) I get the following error: Error 5: Access is denied. Could not start the RASCM service on Local computer. (I am logged in with full access rights)

2) When I run the New Connection Wizard for a Network connection I cannot select the options I need which are; Connect using a dial up modem and Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password - they are 'dimmed'

3) I cannot run windows update - i get the following error: [Error number: 0x8007007E]
    The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view.

PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN!!!

Thanks

P

2. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

HI!
    You might find answers HERE:
    The Connection Wizard problem can probably be solved with the first link.

3. p3dro

p3dro Private E-2

Hi Toni,

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried these and unfortunately they have made no difference...

I have also tried the following solutions to no effect:

http://www.vcn.com/knowledgebase/article.php?id=256

http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBP/tip7800/rh7837.htm

I have tried to upgrade straight to SP2 in the hope it would correct these problems but right at the very end when XPSP2 has installed and is rebooting the system, it hangs on the XP splash-screen. I have left it in this state for 3 days hoping it would clear(!) but I had to reboot. XPSP2 loaded up ok luckily after but the problems still occurred. I then decided to roll-back to SP1 (via uninstalling SP2) as I was wary of the integrity of SP2.
    I'm really at my wits end....it seems completely hopeless! :(

P

4. p3dro

p3dro Private E-2

Hello again!

Does anyone know if there is a way I can re-install XP without the original disc to try clear these problems? Alternatively, is there some powerful Xp admin software out there that might be able to correct these problems I'm having? I can't think what else to try.....will i really have to wipe everything off and start from scratch!? :eek:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds