Need driver help - Rage 128 Pro

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Allochthonous, May 19, 2007.

1. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

OK, I am stumped.

I have an old system with integrated i810 graphics. I have installed a 32 MB ATI Rage 128 PRO PCI card and set the video to PCI in the BIOS. I am sure that this card is OpenGL compatible, as I can run Quake 3 Arena on it. I want to see how Jedi Outcast runs, however I cannot get it to work, even though it is based on the Quake 3 engine.

My first thought was to install the latest drivers, or ATI drivers at least, as I am currently using the default XP drivers. There is were the problem comes in. When I try to install the latest ATI drivers for this card from here http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/legacy-xp.html i get an error that says that a device compatible with these drivers cannot be found (or something to that effect).

Any ideas? The card shows up as RAGE 128 PRO Ultra4XL VR-R AGP in Device Manager.

PK

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

3. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

Nope, not a typo. I thought that looked odd too. The card IS PCI. Windows delcares it AGP in the Device Manager.

Yeah, I know its old. This is just an experimental system.

PK

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Quote from Wikepedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Rage
    (Windows 2000, XP) did not support dual AGP GPUs in the way ATI had implemented them, and so the board could only operate as a single RAGE 128 Pro with the performance of a RAGE Fury card. The optimal OS for the RAGE Fury MAXX is Windows 98/Me. Windows 95 was not supported.
    I only quote this as a possible reason, seemingly the top of the range couldn't wack it. as it is an old card.

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Direct X version support could add to your problem, at the time it seems that it was Direct X 6.- What driver has Musknipe installed ?

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

After looking, it seems we may not have the same exact card. Mine shows as:
    ATI 32MB Rage 128 Pro Ultra AGP 4x. Yours has this extra designation (L VR-R)
    I don't know if that is the same as mine and it just isn't showing it on my system or if it is two different models of the same card. Anyway,
    Installed driver : ati2 dvaa.dll
    Version: 6.13.10.5044
    INF. Name: oem51.inf
    Driver Date: 1/10/2002
    The card is open GL supported.

7. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

Baklogic: Dual AGP? I don't believe that Direct X is the issue, either.

The game crashes with the error message in the console of "could not open OpenGL subsystem."

My driver appears to be 6.13.10.5019 7/3/2001

Musksnipe, where did you get your driver? Is it the one from ATI that I linked to?

Why does this driver package not see my card as compatible?

As a side note, this card was purchased on ebay, used. The driver CD that was shipped with it did not seem to even contain an XP driver.

pk

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

9. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

You think I need the XL driver from ATI?

I am not sure what those other two links are supposed to show. The first one does not have any info and the second one is a press release about notebook graphics.

pk

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Looks like the right one to me. Read the release notes, as there is detailed install instructions and some tips.

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I was told when I was a youngster, that you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Please read the information that I have spent much time trying to find ,to help you, and try installing any of the three that you think will do, and it will help you if you read the next link properly as it tells you how to install, avoiding issues like you have already had with a previous driver.
    And, Yes, the third link is a press release, that I thought might help you to know more about the card series that you are using, that (incidently) put me on the right track to find a driver suitable for your card.

12. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

OK, look, I do appreciate the help, but I really don't need the little "quip."

The reason why I question the XL driver as there is no physical indication on the card that it is the XL version. It simply says "ATI Rage 128 PRO" so therefore I assumed that the first driver is what I needed.

The only indication that it is the XL is that is what Windows pegs it as. But it also ID's it as AGP, which it is not, so my faith in what Windows says is a little shaky.

Second, I have read the release notes....several times. I have followed the instructions. Since the only driver installed is the Windows driver, then nothing shows up in Add/Remove.

By the way, this is what your second link shows me:
    Unauthorized download
    We're sorry, but this download request cannot be authorized. As an option, you may visit any of the pages below for information about our services and products.....

Third, I am still a little fuzzy on how a press release regarding the Rage LT Pro being used in Compaq Armada notebooks is helpful. And I am not trying to be a smart ***, I would really like to know.

I will try the XL driver and let you know.

Again, thanks for the help. I am open to any suggestion. However, please don't assume that I have not taken your advice to heart just because I question it further.

PK

13. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

FYI - I get the same error when I try the XL version.

pk

14. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Perhaps Musksnipe 's might work, if he can find a download for you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds