USB drive doesn't show up in Disk Management

Discussion in 'Software' started by GreenC, Sep 3, 2009.

1. GreenC

GreenC Private E-2

I think this is where this post should be.

I have seen a lot of these problems, but nobody really gives a good solution. When I plug in my camera or flash drive, my computer recognizes the device and shows that it is working fine. However, when I go to My Computer to open the file it isn't there. I can't attempt to change the drive letter in disk management, because the only thing there is my CD-ROM drive which is D:. I have tried changing the letter of that, but it doesn't matter, because my other drives aren't even showing up.

My camera and flash drive do show up in "Device" Manager and seem to be working fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than trying to change the drive letter, since there is nothing in disk management for the drive letter to be changed.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version are you using?

Also do you have installed TweakUI which came as part of the Powertoys for XP or seperately? if you do then check the My Computer > Drives listing for any unchecked ones as TweakUI has the ability to hide drives from showing in My Computer.

This effect can also be caused by a number of tweaking applications so if you have any installed then check their menu options.

Also malware can be a cause for this (Vundo is one) and running the guide of ours here may fix this up, but if any Malware is found and this is not fixed with just the guide then do start a new thread in the malware area of our forum and attach the logs you gained while doing the guide.

3. GreenC

GreenC Private E-2

I am using XP. But I'll try that.

And I have not installed TweakUl. So to my knowledge it isn't on there.

4. GreenC

GreenC Private E-2

I used the guide for malware and other viruses, and that seemed to fix it. I can now see my usb drives under my computer. Thanks for the help.

Cory

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds