PC restarts on CHKDSK Stage 5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by VoiD, Jul 22, 2008.

1. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

My PC froze the other night since then its been requesting to check one of my disks for consistency... it performs the test, completes and starts but upon next start it asks again... and again... and so on even if i skip it.

I tried to check the disk using the tools menu on the properties page of the HDD and i decided to do a full check of the disk (both ticks) and upon restart begins the test, however on stage 5 of the test about 39% of the way through the PC just shuts off and restarts.

is there is a bad sector on the disk? i usually do a quick format when i wipe my system, so would a full format sort this out? its a fresh install so wiping it again is not a problem.

any help is much apreciated :)

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds