aol and games freezing

Discussion in 'Software' started by bluenautica, Apr 17, 2004.

1. bluenautica

bluenautica Private E-2

ok.. this is some crazy stuff thats happening.. i just put everything into this new case i bought.. the computer is fine.. but when i try to get on aol or when i try to play a game my computer freezes.. it doesnt crash it just locks up.. and i cant do anything.. the mouse doesnt move, alt-ctrl-del doesnt work.. nothing.. i have to press the reset button each time which scares me cuz when i boot back up i get the blue screen sayin that i have to do a disk scan.. i really dont wanna try turning aol or a game on until i fix this problem... if anybody has a clue to what this is.. (virus, spyware, or hardware malfunction, etc,,,,) please respond.. thanks

i also wanted to add that when i turn on norton antivirus everything is disabled... autoprotect is off, and email scanning says error.. and when i try to do a windows scan on systemworks it also freezes

Last edited: Apr 17, 2004
  2. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

We'll need a little more info from you, like OS and hardware specs, please read thru this and post back: http://www.majorgeeks.com/vb/announcement.php?f=21
    OK, that's a clue.
    What's new, just the case and PSU?
    Power rating of PSU?
    Case fans all connected and spinning?
    Did you remember to connect power to the CPU fan and is the vid card fan spinning?

3. bluenautica

bluenautica Private E-2

oh sorry ok here are the my specs

i have p4 processor 2.2 gighz, 80gig hdd, 726mb sdram, 128 radeon xt video card

4. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

And the answers to my other questions?

5. bluenautica

bluenautica Private E-2

OK, that's a clue.
    What's new, just the case and PSU?
    Power rating of PSU?
    Case fans all connected and spinning?
    Did you remember to connect power to the CPU fan and is the vid card fan spinning?

the case and the power supply, the psu is 420 watts, all the fans are spinning, even the video card fanthere is a total of 6 fans.. 3 case fans and the pcu fan, the video card fan, and a fan on the psu.. i left my computer on all day and nothing is wrong.. just when i start aol or when i play games or when i start systemworks...

6. bluenautica

bluenautica Private E-2

i really dont think something is overheating.. cuz i had the computer on for a whole day and its perfectly fine.. but as soon as i start aol.. i dont even have to sign on.. it will freeze no matter what.. but thats after like 5 minutes so its not an instant thing

7. bluenautica

bluenautica Private E-2

damn.. its really bad.. no aol.. no games.. what am i gonna do

8. bluenautica

bluenautica Private E-2

you guys think this might be a virus????

9. bluenautica

bluenautica Private E-2

i guess i wont be finding any help here :(

10. MaxWade

MaxWade Private E-2

Problem solved

Had the same problem, going to be overheating no doubt.

11. bluenautica

bluenautica Private E-2

i dont really think im overheating.. cuz the comp hasnt froze for a while now.. and i had it running for a long time.. but i noticed that the game problem only occurs with halo... and i still cant use aol.. but now i also noticed that javascript is not working either.. or at least thats what i think.. cuz certain links that had java applied to them dont work anymore.. i hope this makes sense to someone cuz i really need to fix this.. my computer is very dear to me.. thanks

12. bluenautica

bluenautica Private E-2

wow.. no answers.. !!!! whats goin on.. ????????????

13. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Everyone probably agrees that it's a heat issue. The only other thing I could suggest is to run a tool like Motherboard Monitor to monitor your temps while you launch a program that causes the problem. That will give you a better idea of what's happening.

14. bluenautica

bluenautica Private E-2

thank you... i appreciate all the help you give me

15. sunnius

sunnius Private E-2

this is EXACTLY wots wrong wid mine, hav u found out wot to du yet? coz i need help, i dont have aol, but all other symtoms, runnin XP PRo

cheers

16. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Have you tried uninstalling AOL. waol.exe might be corrupted, or another file in AOL. Then run a good Registry Cleaner (plenty here in MG) and then re-install AOL. As robo asked, what version of AOHell are you using, dialup, broadband or what. Is your modem software OK, up to date? Can you log onto any other ISP? Get a mate who uses a different ISP to try logging onto their ISP using your PC. Lots of possibilities. Must eliminate them one by one. VEE VILLLL SUCCEEED.;) Bazza

========

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds