networking w/ crossover cable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 1crystal, Aug 19, 2004.

1. 1crystal

1crystal Private E-2

I'm trying to set up a network between my old computer (Dell, on WinME) with my new Sony (winXP) by way of crossover cable. Physically I have the two computers connected, but I don't think the network is set up correctly on the computers. I used the Home Networking Wizard on my Sony, then ran the setup wizard disc on my Dell and both setups seemed to run fine. However when I view "My Network Places" or "Entire Network" on the computers, there is no listing of a network or the other computer.

CAN YOU HELP MEEEE?

I'm moving on Sunday and I need to transfer over my old files to the new computer.. only 2 more full days to try to figure this out!

2. 1crystal

1crystal Private E-2

After reading through some old posts, I found out that turning off my Anti-virus software and re-setting up the network kiiind of helped.. at least now the shared folders show up in the Network. But it's still only the shared folder of the Sony showing up on the Sony comp, and only the shared Dell folder showing on the Dell comp. It seems that both have the network "HOME" set up, but only lists their own computer.

I might need to do something with the IP's, but I really can't figure out what it is I need to do. Please help me as simply as possible! =\

3. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

Set a static IP for both computers make computer X
    Ip 192.168.0.10
    Subnet 255.255.255.0

Make Computer Y

Then try the network neighborhood, Computers wont see each other unless they are in the same subnet

4. 1crystal

1crystal Private E-2

you solved my problems. THANK YOU!

5. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

how do you set the static ips?

eric

6. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

7. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

awsome. thanks wookie i really appreciate it.

eric

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds