cant connect to internet using cable modem and XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lmk5508, Aug 21, 2004.

1. lmk5508

lmk5508 Private E-2

Hi guys. I have XP and a motorola sb5100 cable modem. I have never had any problems connecting to the internet before. I got an additional computer and am trying to connect to the internet using the same modem. I am running the modem directly into the machine via ethernet. For some reason, I cant get online. I can connect using the same modem with 2 other computers..so I assume its something in the machine preventing me from connecting. I have tried USB...still no connection. The system is seeing the NIC card just fine...I cant ping yahoo.com or anything like that. I have checked the network settings, but my knowledge is limited. Can someone please help me out here? I would MUCH appreciate some help getting this thing online. Thank you.

2. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

so how are you sharing the internet with other people? from what i can tell, you're not using a router, which is recommended for sharing a broadband connection. maybe that can help?

or if you want to save money, you can leave one of the computers on 24/7 and have internet connection sharing enabled on that computer.

3. lmk5508

lmk5508 Private E-2

Hello. Im not sharing this computer. I am trying to get it online all by itself...no networking, no shared internet connection. I am running the modem directly into the machine...no connection.

4. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Just as a baseline: If you believe your NIC is properly configured, and your cable connections are sound, try powering off the modem and your computer. Then turn the modem on and let it go through its power-on sequence until you get steady lights. Then bring the PC up and see if you have connectivity.

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

6. lmk5508

lmk5508 Private E-2

Hey guys. Thanks for the help so far. I have reset the cable modem, left it unplugged for 30 mins or more...then i plugged it back in, got solid good status lights, turned the computer on....still not internet connection. Ive compared all the settings to my other computer that does work and they are all the same. Ive checked the internet options, TCP/IP settings. When I run ipconfig, i get a IP address and a subnet mask...I dont get a default gateway.. However on my other working computer, I do get a default gateway. Not sure if that has anything to do with this. Ive reset everything...still no connection. Im kinda baffled here.

7. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

What IP address are you getting? You can leave of the last set of numbers for security if you wish.

8. lmk5508

lmk5508 Private E-2

For the IP address, I am getting a 169.254.144.XXX. The subnet mask is coming up as 255.255.0.0.

9. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

That's being generated by your machine, and not being pulled from the cable company. Did you power down the computer at the same time as the modem as I suggested?

10. lmk5508

lmk5508 Private E-2

I did. I powered off the computer and the modem, left the modem unplugged for 20 mins or so. Plugged the modem back up, let all the lights come up to a good solid state and then powered on the machine....no connection. I did try to run an IPCONFIG\RENEW cmd and got this error:
    An error occured while renewing interface local area connection: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

Not sure if that means anything. Also, DHCP and DNS are enabled...not sure what the problem is.

11. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

12. lmk5508

lmk5508 Private E-2

Hey Doug...i checked out that page...sounds simple enough. Can you explain what a malware infection is?

13. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Sometimes spyware and other similar programs make changes to your Winsock settings in order to achieve their nefarious ends. When you remove the spyware/malware, the result can be that you cannot connect-- the bad program is removed, but the changes it made are not restored back to the original Windows settings.

14. lmk5508

lmk5508 Private E-2

hey doug! That seemed to work. I deleted the winsock and winsock 2 from the machine with no connection. I copied the winsock and winsock 2 from my other machine and transferred it to the one with no connection. I restarted it and its up and running. Learn something new every day. Thank you!!!

15. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

And we managed to do it without going to Page 2. Excellent work!

16. mavedog21

mavedog21 Private E-2

I know this thread is old but I'm having the same problem as IMK.

Few changes for me though, When I first recieved my comcast box. I hooked it up as the tech said, but it did not connect. He used his laptop to set it up and it worked.

I called comcast and the tech support guy tried to get me to run ipconfig which wouldn't run (unless I typed "ipconfig.exe") and he said my OS was bad for some reason. SO, I've completely reformatted and installed the OS again.

I've installed I believe all the common network drives from the disk and everything seems to be fine.

automatic dns/dhcp/ip etc...

Still wont' connect.

What I have

Dell Dimension 3000 w/ WinXP Home SP2
    Connect w/Ethernet
    I have the same IP address IMK's

"For the IP address, I am getting a 169.254.144.XXX. The subnet mask is coming up as 255.255.0.0."

on ipconfig I don't show a dns number
    ip router enabled : NO (does that matter?)

When I try to renew IP address it says it has a problem.

It says' I'm connected sometimes at 100mbps but I can't get online.
    Where do I start?

thanks,
    mavedog21

17. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Dont bring back old threads, start a new one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds