BSOD mainly when using vlc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by loz3002, Sep 10, 2012.

1. loz3002

loz3002 Private E-2

Firstly this is not my computer but i can try and tell you what you need

bsod seems to happen when we've been watching films/episodes (off the external hard-drive not the internet)

i haven't had a chance to write down anything off the bsod yet because it always seems to happen when im in bed.. and can't be bothered (but i will do it next time)

I recently updated the drivers the bsod happened before this update and has continued to (happens a couple of times a week)

i just went through the read and run just to check anyway though i didn't think that was the problem and it doesn't seem to be (i can attach the logs if need be)

System Info:
    AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 Processor 3.40 GHz
    4GB RAM
    64-bit os
    windows 7
    * also it's a virtual dual core if that makes any difference

It's an old-ish refurbished computer so maybe its just time for an upgrade?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) normally your forum's/guides are enough to help me but bsod goes beyond me a little, the name alone is intimidating!

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. loz3002

loz3002 Private E-2

cheers, whats the best plan of attack then? because all the drivers are up to date and this happened before and after the update?
    should i just go through each one and get older versions? and wait a few days?
    sort of trial and error it?

I've reset VLC preferences in case that was the issue, but it happened a few days ago when we were just downloading avast (or another program maybe)

i've attached the c:\windows\minidump files in the zip

Attached Files:

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

A quick look while waiting for the debug results to complete shows 3 drivers/programs with potential to cause crashes: DaemonTools, Rapport and AMD Overdrive/EasyTune6 - please uninstall these 3 softwares during testing.

There are also 2 hardware drivers that should be updated: an Atheros Wireless LAN USB device driver (http://www.atheros.cz/) and an ATI PCIE Driver for ATI PCIE chipset or ATI PCI Express (3GIO) Filter (AtiPcie.sys http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx).

Which of these is triggering the BSOD's, I can't tell yet - it should be the latter hardware drivers but the 3 software drivers may be complicating matters.

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

All 5 dumps seem to be pointing at a bad driver, 1, possibly 2, show filter manager (the AtiPcie.sys, possibly Rapport ?) and another shows the WiFi (Atheros Wireless) as being the causes. I'm not sure on the others.
    Code:
    [font=lucida console]
    BugCheck 1E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff80001ea8ff5, 0, ffffffffffffffff}
    Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!FsRtlLookupPerFileObjectContext+a5 )
    ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
    BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff80001fde372, fffff88002132698, fffff88002131ef0}
    Probably caused by : memory_corruption ( nt!MiAllocateAccessLog+72 )
    ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
    BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff8800109a290, fffff8800bf09f10, 0}
    Probably caused by : fltmgr.sys ( fltmgr!FltpPurgeVolumeNameCache+50 )
    BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff80001edd4b8, fffff8800da5f970, 0}
    Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!FsRtlLookupPerStreamContextInternal+7c )
    BugCheck 1E, {0, 0, 0, 0}
    Probably caused by : nwifi.sys ( nwifi!Pt6RepackRecvNBL+103 )
    [/font]
    Follow the earlier post for updating the hardware drivers, also uninstall the 3 software packages listed there.

Don't be too surprised if it crashes during updating/uninstalling; when/if you get another crash, please upload the latest dumps with a description(s) of what was happening/running in the moments leading up to the crash.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds