CCleaner active monitoring, is it really necessary?

Discussion in 'Software' started by usafveteran, Apr 22, 2015.

1. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Sometime within the last year or less, CCleaner introduced active monitoring. I feel inclined to disable that feature. I don't know what the purpose is and I'm inclined to disable it and simply use CCleaner as I always have, which is to periodically start it and use the Cleaner component to clean temporary files, etc.

What say ye gurus?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I did what you are proposing to do several weeks ago. I'm not really bothered if a few hundred MB could be saved, and on my laptop I'm always trying to avoid additional startups - it's slow enough as it is.

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

My thoughts exactly. I just disabled it.

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I disabled the active monitoring within days after installing the then latest CCleaner almost 3 months ago. I do not need to be prompted to clean my PC.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Disabled here. I want no parts of cleaning anything behind my back.
    I run the programs to clean when I feel the need and if something breaks, I know exactly what I did so I can retrace my steps and undo the damage I caused.

I also turn off auto updates and update checking for all programs except my av and malwarebytes. All these different programs running around checking for updates when a computer is turned on can really slow things down.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Not something I have active as its not going to kick in unless its going to save around 500MB, and checks every 8hrs, TBH manual checking is enough periodically, and if you are a software tester then you likely clean up after a test session.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds