Mail.com deleted recent emails on it's own

Discussion in 'Software' started by mdonah, Apr 24, 2015.

1. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

I've been using Mail.com as my default email client for quite some time now without issues.

Today, when I went to check my emails, I found that all of my recent emails in my inbox were deleted up to one I received on 2/23/14. Ones I received today from MG's were there but otherwise, an entire year+ of emails were gone! :eek

Any ideas??

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

mdonah...

I have had difficulties with the contents of a program .ini being occasionally erased. I now keep a spare copy of the file in a convenient place, but I wondered if maybe a security scan was behind the problem (360 TS). I went in an made sure the file was exempted from scanning in 360 TS, and I haven't had the problem since. It could be a quirk with the program, though, as I have seen similar mentions about the program on its forum site.

Can you restore the mail messages from a backup?

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I understood mail.com to be a webmail service. It can be set up in a client but AFAIK it doesn't have its own. If that is true then your mail was deleted on the server rather than on your machine, and you are unlikely to be the only user affected. If there is a forum you might get further info there.

Or maybe I'm talking through the back of my head - I'm not a mail.com user.

EDIT - found the forum but it's virtually dormant.

http://www.emailquestions.com/mail-com/

4. mdonah

I run 360 IS on XP but MSSE and Windows Firewall on Vista. I also run WinPatrol Plus on all three of my Windows OSes. Mail.com is web based so there are no emails stored locally on my 'puter like there would be in Outlook (which I don't use).

Once the emails are gone, they're not recoverable.

You're right, it's a webmail service and more than likely, I wasn't the only one affected. But, if they did some "cleaning", it doesn't make sense that they removed most recent and not oldest. Fortunately, I put the "important" emails (like product registration) in the Saved IMs folder and they weren't touched.

Thanks for your replies guys.

5. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

mdonah, just a suggestion...

I use EssentialPIM. The free version has included an email client for some time. I have added both Yahoo! Mail and outlook.com. No matter what happens to my emails on the web, I have them on my computer. Using POP3 means the folders are not synchronized - if I delete emails on the web, they are still on my PC, and vice versa.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/essentialpim.html

FYI I have MSO Outlook 2007. It has more settings than Word, Excel & PowerPoint combined! EssentialPIM's email client is straightforward and looks a lot like MSO Outlook 2003.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Yep, losing mail is a risk when using IMAP so, pita as it is, you need an installed client and to copy anything important to its Local Folders. In Thunderbird for example it is simple to set up a filter to copy all new messages to a local folder. With POP3, if you need to be able to access your mail from more than one device you can opt to leave a copy on the server, but that isn't very satisfactory either as your Sent items and other folders are only available on the device you sent from.

For anyone running a business an event like yours mdonah could be catastrophic.

7. mdonah

I used to use IncrediMail years ago. But now, I do a lot of experimenting and prefer not to have emails and the like on my computer in case of screw-ups. I image my drives at least once a month and prefer a smaller image of each because of available space on the drive I image to. It's slow enough as it is and I can't afford a higher capacity drive or SSD right now.

Absolutely right! Fortunately, that's not the case. I haven't run a business since 2006. I had to take everything down when I had a double infection in my right knee.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds