Blocking websites

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Riddick, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Riddick

Riddick Private E-2

I want to block websites using the windows HOST file. However I use a Belkin 7230-4 router. Does the router interfere with the Host file. Any site I input into the Host file I can still view. I have tried restarting the computer, wiping the cache out. I am using using XP with Mozilla browser.

Why can I still view the sites I've entered into the Host file and how do I correct it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Host file is done on a local level on each pc.

I.e. It has nothing to do with the Router. Some Routers allow you to block sites too, and it has nothing to do with the Host file.

You can even use both.

Windows Host File- What is it and How to Mange it?

:D

3. Riddick

Riddick Private E-2

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if the router had anything to do with it or not because any site I enter in to be blocked i can still get to it. I am a little confused as to why I am still able to get to the site even though I have the site listed in the Host file to be blocked.... HMMMM...

Any suggestions of what may be happening..

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Make sure that you have a valid:

127.0.0.1 localhost

In the Host file.

Site are not blocked per-se by the Host file but rather sent to LaLa land (127.0.0.1 localhost).

Look at his, the Ultimate Blocking Host File, http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt

:D

5. Riddick

Riddick Private E-2

thanks got it.........

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds