MS Dumping Ground??

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Feb 1, 2010.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Is all this crud REALLY necessary to have choking my machine please?

MS seems to have loaded duplicates, and there are programs here for SP2, and this XP PC has SP3.

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Glenn

In the main they are not duplicates but updates, to many of the original applications, you could loose .Net 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 and leave 3.5 Sp1 (but some older applications programmed in older .Net language may or may not work, should do but that depends on the programming)

The .Net SP2 references are not for Windows XP SP2 but a .Net Service Pack version.

Note also the KB number is different on some, different versions that maybe needed by different apps, uninstall and you may loose the ability to open or run an application properly, in the case of MSXML.

Are you running out of HDD Space?

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hi David, thanks, and no, I don't *think* I'm running-out of HDD space (I believe I have between 50-55% free space remaining on this particular PC), I'm simply hoping to do *something* to speed-things-up. It seems to have become considerably slower since recent MS/Windows/XP updates, and come to think of it, since the latest Firefox (3.6) update.

Something just seems to be "gumming-up" the works.

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Have you checked your Startup listing to see if they have added anything to it?

5. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks, yes. I continually check it (via StartUp CP). All seems well there...

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Background programs or scans running?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds