Problems playing audio

Discussion in 'Software' started by NRS, Apr 28, 2012.

1. NRS

NRS Private E-2

Geeks! Save me! :cry

Eh. Anyway, I have an Asus G-74 series laptop, running Windows 7 64. Recently, she stopped playing any form of audio file. I can play video, but the audio will not play.
    My player of choice is the KM player. I tried to open up an mp3, and it didn't give me any error messages, but no sound would play as the it ran through the clip. I then tried to open the same file with VLC, and the same happened. WMP gave me an error file. (But it's microsoft, is it not what we expect? :) )

Games on the whole are not affected, (except for my dearest age of empires II, which has no sound) and system and web player sounds are fine. :confused

I uninstalled and reinstalled the Realtek drivers.
    Since it is not limited to a file type, I didn't try replacing any codecs, (but perhaps that is what I must do)

Anyway, that's it for now. Please respond, thanks in advance. :-D

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Do you have any codec packs installed like Klite, Shark etc if so uninstall them and reboot and test sound.

Also run this HERE

Open Device Manager up and check for yellow ! marks and if you have nay please tell us by what device are they listed as?

3. NRS

NRS Private E-2

I didn't do anything to my sound or players. The diagnoser didn't find anything. Thanks though.

4. DavidGP

9 times out of 10 its not a Microsoft issue as the OS pure and simple is fine, its the 3rd party software or drivers that cause the issues.

Did you uninstall an codec packs and then test sound?

In device manager are there any yellow ! marks?

With sound being random and in some apps it works ok and others not as your post mentions, then its very likely that a codec pack or a multiple install of codec packs could be to blame, so definitely uninstall any and all codec packs and may be a good thing to re-install your motherboards chipset and reboot then install the audio driver again,

5. NRS

NRS Private E-2

I've never installed a codec pack, but perhaps mine are corrupted. Is there any way to redownload the windows standard pack?

The device manager is clean, and that scanner didn't find any issues.

6. DavidGP

Hi

Windows standard drivers come with the OS, so you'd need to to a System File Check as that can replace corrupt Windows OS files. But I would start off if the audio is still causing issues in uninstalling VLC and KM Player as they will come with there own codec packs and reboot and check audio.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds