Faulty Component Help Needed Please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ProbablyNathan, Mar 28, 2015.

1. ProbablyNathan

ProbablyNathan Private E-2

My computer (Asus M11AA) has suddenly stopped working. When I attempt to turn it on, the power supply fan spins, so too does the CPU cooling fan, but after 2/3 seconds, the whole computer turns off again.I decided to investigate the cause, so therefore opened it up and examined the components. My power supply, CPU and RAM all appear to be working (I think). But upon inspecting the motherboard, I found a slight scratch across a connection quite close to the CPU, could this be the cause? The only other thing I can see it being is the CMOS battery, but I'm not to sure as I have had little experience with them. Any help would be appreciated!

I would attach a picture of the scratch on the motherboard, but it is too small to be able to picture.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi, ProbablyNathan. Welcome to Major Geeks. :)

If the computer is 4 years old or older and the CMOS battery has never been changed, it's time for it to be replaced. You'd be surprised at what issues that $2 — $4 replacement has solved.

3. ProbablyNathan

Thank you for the replies, but unfortunately none of them worked.
    However, I may have found the problem, upon talking the CPU fan off and then taking the CPU out, I've found that a number of pins for the CPU socket were bent out of place, could this be the problem? If so, how would I go about straightening the pins without causing further damage?

4. ProbablyNathan

Thankfully this worked.All pins now back into place and my computer is back to running like normal.Can't thank you enough Musksnipe!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds