64-bit Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Software' started by teradost, Nov 27, 2006.

1. teradost

teradost Private E-2

I have a 32/64 bit motherboard and processor, and I am currently running Windows XP Pro x64. I am looking into installing Ubuntu on another partition and dual booting, and since the Live CD seemed to work OK, I am sure that the OS is compatible with the hardware.

However, the version I downloaded is not formulated for 64-bit or RAID partitions. There are other Ubuntu ISOs which cater to those with 64-bit systems, or those with RAID partitions, but the descriptions on the differences between the ISOs is sketchy and sparse.

I wanted to know if someone has a clear idea on what ISO I should use. Has anybody installed Ubuntu using a 64-bit Intel architecture? What about RAID 1? What ISO did you use, and were there any issues with the drivers?

Thank you :confused:

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Sorry....posted before I realized I had missed some important info here...

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

What do you mean by RAID partitions?

Do you have a hardware RAID controller? If you do, you'll need to check to see whether it's supported by Ubuntu, and if not you might have to load a module manually during the installation.

If it's software RAID, you're out of luck.

As for 64-bit, look for downloads marked amd64 or ia64 (depending on what processor you've got - in your case it'll be ia64).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds