MSI Ethernet Controller drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by Moosh, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Moosh

Moosh Private E-2

I'm actually not completely sure if I need this but for some reason, my computer is not detecting my internet connection. It used to work, but I completely reformatted recently (I may have deleted some vital stuff).

It's a MSI MS-6590 2.0.

I checked the device manager and under the "question marks", it says that my ethernet controllers are "?". So that's why I think it's the problem.

I greatly appreciate any help :)

2. Moosh

Moosh Private E-2

Not sure...but I know for sure it works for all the other computers.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

First off as you have mentioned a ? next to ethernet controller in Dev Manager ( this ? mark signifies a wrong or incompatible driver has been installed ) then you will need to install your chipset drivers ( VIA 4 in 1 ), these allow proper enabling of other devices on the motherboard to be found.

BTW which Windows version are you using?

Then as that model MSI KT4 motherboard could have 1 of 2 LAN chips on the motherboard, you'll need to check which one you have on your board, to do this install http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html and once installed and run goto

Computer > Summary and under Network ~ Network Adapter will be the name of the ethernet chip

or

Click Network and the summary page from this shoudl tell you the chip

Then once armed with this you can download the correct ethernet/LAN driver from the below driver section at MSI, it also has the VIA 4 in 1 drivers listed as well.

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID=356&kind=1

4. Moosh

Moosh Private E-2

Alright I got the Everest, like you said and it tells me:

-Atheros AR5005G Wireless Network Adapter (but I use it wired)
    -MSI/Broadcom 4401 Intergrated Fast Ethernet Controller

I'm going to try the 4in1 drivers right now but I've tried the Broadcom 4401 driver but I have no clue how to use it :\

You guys have been very helpful, please don't abandon me now :)

5. Moosh

Moosh Private E-2

I just ran the VIA Chipset 4in1 Drivers setup but it didn't seem to make the "?" beside the Ethernet Controllers disappear :(

6. DavidGP

No the 4 in 1s are just the first stage.. the next bit now is section B)

A) Install the 4 in 1's then you need the broadcom 4401 drivers, unless you have them already ( if you have them already were they fom the MSI website, if not get the MSI drivers ) then once you re-boot after the installing the 4 in 1's install the Broadcom 4401s and sadly these have to be installed manually as they have no installer file like many drivers, but I hope my instructions are clear enough........

B) To do this open Device Manager double click the ethernet/network ? to the device thats not found, once the properties to this device open, click the Driver tab and then update driver, this will start the hardware update wizard, choose No not at this time > Next > then at the next screen choose Install from a list or specific loaction (advanced) > Next > now click Dont search i will choose the driver to install > Next

now browse to the location of the unzipped ( important the downloaded broadcom drivers are unzipped ) drivers and open the folders in sequence until you open the folder which is your Windows version as the driver pack contains all the windows versions, once you have opened the folder of your version of windows you will see a b44win.inf file click that once to highlight then click Open

You may now see a box that says at the top Select the drvice driver you want to install for this hardware.... hopefully their is just one in the list but click the top one then click Next and hopefully the driver will start to install once its finished installing click Finish

*if one of the final prompts says this driver is not signed do you wish to install, click yes and install.

I hope I've made it as clear as possible, but good luck :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  7. Moosh

Moosh Private E-2

My internet is up and running!! Thank you soooooo much!!! I did stray away from your directions alittle bit but there would have been no way I would have figured all that out if you weren't there to help!

8. DavidGP

Glad you have internet now :)

Hey straying a little is good as it got your internet up and running ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds