win8 search

Discussion in 'Software' started by ReBar, Sep 26, 2013.

1. ReBar

ReBar I can't follow the rules

if i filesearch on "cat", say, win8 finds files named "cat6" and "new_cat" but not ones named "scat" or "catalog". at least not as it is set by default.

sounds minor, but searching on "tax", say, completely misses files named "taxes" "taxlaw" or "taxprep"!

how do i fix this? this was certainly not the case in windows past.

also...is there a way to do a search which doesn't MONOPOLIZE explorer for the duration? in XP and prior, i'd often open mulitple searches in parallel then check back in 2-3 mins. in win8 i'm basically stuck WAITING for each one separately.

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

* is the wild card, so you would want to do something like *tax* to search, or *cat would find anything that ends in cat, *cat* would find anything with cat in the middle.

3. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

You should check out Search EveryThing. It blows away the built in Windows Search. If you do a lot of searching then have it run at startup. Once it's loaded (only a few seconds) then searches give instant results.

4. ReBar

ReBar I can't follow the rules

wild card! D'OH!!

20 yrs ago i would have thought of that, but since the last 5-6 iterations of windows didn't work that way, i had totally forgotten about it.

while we're at it, is there any kludge to search ONLINE like that? i have tried sticking asterisks into google searches (ditto bing, yahoo, and some others), but they don't seem to work.

5. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds