Don't Understand Folding?

Discussion in 'Software' started by KnightRobby, Dec 15, 2005.

1. KnightRobby

KnightRobby Private E-2

I saw the website about folding, but I REALLY don't understand it. I see that it is a bunch of stats concering your site and you earn points, plus it seems like you go up and down on the list like the stock market - lol :p

I would like to help MajorGeeks and I would like to also submit my own site.

And what is the benefit of folding??

Thanks and sorry for the questions, especially if they are covered somewhere else. But I would appreciate a personal answer!

Robby

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=48015
    Check that thread out.

It basically helps with research into protien misfolding, which is somthing important when you're studying diseases. They have discovered a number of things about protien folding from this research that they wouldn't have a chance to do if they didn't have the contribution of so many peoples CPU time.

The way it happens is you download a program to your PC which does a slice of work for them, then sends it back. Every slice of work gets a certain number of points, which is added to your username. The more work you do, the more points you get. If you're attached to a Team then the team gets the points too. There is a big leauge in which all the teams compete for high places.

Think of it a bit like SETI@Home, but more useful ;)

And you can add your own site if you wanted to, but it's very unlikely you'll get into the top 100 any time soon, unless you've got a hell of a lot of members with fast computers. The MG team, however, is on the brink of the top 100 and we really need the help to get that last push.

:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds