Hosts file and CWShredder v1.59 and v2.0

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Nov 29, 2004.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Didn't want to hijack this thread http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=48267
    but after reading that thread, and some of the links, I decided to check for my HOSTS file.

I'm pretty sure I used to have one, named HOSTS (no extension).

Doing a search for HOSTS in my W98SE, I could not find any file named HOSTS (only). I have 3 or 4 backups of 797kb named Hosts and followed by date and time, with backup as extension, in the C:\windows folder.

My question is can I copy the most recent backup into C:\windows and rename it HOSTS (no extension). Bazza

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

do you modify yours frequently?

the defualt is

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

3. bigbazza

Kodo, thanks for the reply.

No, I don't modify HOSTS frequently. I think I downloaded an expanded HOSTS file a long time ago, and haven't had any problems with it. Now, when I search for it, it has vanished.
    Don't exactly know how, or when. As I mentioned I have various backups, as I used to back it up occasionally. Last backup is 22nd Feb, 2004 (797kb). Can I just install this in C:\windows (renamed HOSTS)? Bazza

Gateway Solo 9300 laptop, W98SE, P2/400, 288mb RAM (maxed out) IE6.

===

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

yes :)

5. bigbazza

Kodo, thanks, I will. Bazza

===

6. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Perhaps you need to update your hosts file with one from this link posted by Nick ADSL: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm It also includes means of locking the hosts file but I expect malware may chenge this anyway.

SpywareBlaster allows you to create an encrypted backup of the hosts file that you can restore using this tool - perhaps you had used this?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  7. bigbazza

Thanks Maxwell and Mastertech. I think I may have got my expanded HOSTS file from Nick's link ages ago. Will download it again and compare. I keep an occasional backup so can restore if necessary.As I said earlier, mine just vanished somehow, probably me. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds