Missing icons in Add Remove Programs

Discussion in 'Software' started by cadmankev, Jun 19, 2005.

1. cadmankev

cadmankev Private E-2

After installing and then uninstalling a program to create my own personal icons in my machine at work (Y2K Pro OS) I lost almost all of the icons in the Add Remove Programs list in the Control Panel. Why is that, anyone know? It really does nothing to affect my work, it just bugs me. Is there a way to get those icons back without using the original machine os disk? We have quite a few workstations in the CAD department and getting that disk would not be an easy task considering our computer guy.
    Can anyone provide a step by step process I can use to get those back? I know enough to be able to do that.
    Sure would appretiate the help.
    Thanks, CadManKev

2. Junior Jeeves

Junior Jeeves Private E-2

Try the Last Known Good Configuration from Windows 2000 Advanced Menu.

To get there, Keep hitting F8 key while booting. Then select the Last Known Good Configuration option. Check if that fixes the issue..

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It won't. If the original poster has already rebooted back to the desktop, then the LKG information ahs already been updated. LKG will not help here.

I'd be curious to know if this happens in other user accounts as well.

4. cadmankev

cadmankev Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestion but it did not work. I decided to re-install the os. Lot's of work I didn't really start out wanting to do but it's done. I will have to pay more attention to what I install and then un-install. Perhaps I let a shared dll go that I should not have. Who knows. Oh well, I'm back to square one. Thanks again.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

You could have tried a few options... ( ok you've re-install but worth making a note of for the future )

TweakUI for XP ( part of the XP Powertoys ) has an option to rebuild icons.

or get

Icon Phile and once run click the tool icon ( one that looks like hammer and screwdriver ) > Rebuild Icon Cache

BY any chance it wasnt StyleXP was it?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds