Cable/vpn/dsl/etc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Iceburg, May 1, 2003.

1. Iceburg

Iceburg Private First Class

I have a peer to peer LAN at work with has a 640/256K DSL. I want to run VPN from my house which currentlly has nothing but dialup. Let me know if this is true, or what I need.

I need a server at the office (Windows 2K server) that will accept the incoming VPN connections.

I need broadband at home (not nessecarily) but I think so, and I need a router (for multiple home computers) but the router has to have PPTP, and a firewall. If I run NAT can I still use VPN?

I am going to run AD on the server in the office, and make the network a little more secure than the peer to peer which it has now.

Any thing that I missed, or any comments that you can think of?

-Ice

2. Iceburg

No one huh?

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I'm no expert on VPN , but I don't think you need broadband. I'm pretty sure you can use a dial up vpn adapter. as for using a NAT device and VPN, it can be done.. and here's a list of routers that do not work with VPN..

http://nscsysop.hypermart.net/vpnnat.html

4. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

kodo is right, you can run a dial up vpn, just don't expect to transfer big files. What are you intending on doing with a VPN? File transfer? If you simply want to work on file at the office from home it would be simpler to set up a terminal server and use that. That way you don't have to transfer the files and have multiple copies. The files can stay at the office and you just "take over" a workstation to use.

5. Iceburg

File transfer is the main function. What do you guys think?

6. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

If file transfer is the major issue, I'd say an FTP server would be the way to go. Much easier to set up and maintain.

Window 2k Server has support for VPN connections via Routing and Remote Access Server, IIRC. I haven't looked at that stuff in quite awhile, though, and I didn't understand as much then as I do now, so I really don' know the capabilities of it.

IIS (part of Win2k server) has an FTP daemon, too. Just make sure you server is up to date (SP3) before setting up IIS. You don't want Code Red (even though that's sent by the httpd).

At any rate, RRAS and IIS will give you the ability to connect and use Active Directory's security features to control access, so you'll still have a single point of management.

If you don't want to do that, you can get a third party FTP daemon that has SSL support.

7. Mando

Mando Private E-2

Also make sure that all clients are running IE6 sp1 to ensure there are no little niggling IIS problems.

IE5 will work etc but trust me down the line things wont display correctly ive had to upgrade non internet accessed terminals at work (40 of them) since rollin g out a new access/iis app major pain in ass.

I use this for playing mp3s on my ipaq around my house wirlessly heheh music on the move with wep for now class :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds