Best pc games and memories playing them

Discussion in 'Software' started by lego126, Jul 23, 2009.

1. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

I'm just curious about what you all think are the best PC games ever..
    Here are my top 3
    3:Baldur's gate-- This was really my first RPG style with the newer graphics, it really turned me on to RGPs, and D&d

2:Ansalon--MUD-- This was a text based RPG, but I started playing it when I was in the 4th grade, we didn't have a computer, but we had this key board, that we plugged into the TV, then we would have to plug this modem thing into the side of the keyboard. The modem looked like an 8-track tape or something, then we'd have to dial the # and wait for the connection. :cool
    There wasn't any searching or anything, I seem to remember having to type like the EXACT name of the address and weird stuff. I still play MUDs to this day.. Anyone wanna try http://www.ansalonmud.com/

1: would have to be D&D Secret of the Silver Blades. I begged my mom for it at Wal-mart after digging around in the clearance bin. I think it was like 9.99 or something. it came fully loaded with 6- 3.5 floppies, and game manual, and game journal, I still play it at least once a year. It never gets old. below
    are some screen shots from the game, and This game and most all old games are free download at http://www.abandonia.com/en/game
    You just have to use Dosbox or something to run them.

Attached Files:

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

A nostalgic thread. :cool

My first game was Captain Comic (free ATT) (youtube walkthrough) on a 286 with an EGA monitor, then there was the Leisure Suit Larry series, Space Quest, King's Quest and Quest for Glory. Sierra ruled in those days! ^.^

I used dosbox with XP successfully but I can't get it to work in Vista though I haven't tried too hard as of yet to get it going.

Those of you who enjoyed the Sierra games, there is a great fan site that remade King's Quest 1 and 2 in EGA adding a twist to the story in KQ2 which was excellent IMHO plus QfG 2!

Check out AGDInteractive for some great free games which also include midi music and proper voice acting for those games. It took them some 8 years of TLC to redo all of those and added some fantastic cut scenes but it is definitely worth it for us older RPG fans. Let's see what King Graham is upto now!!!:)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  3. Shane Thrice

Shane Thrice Private First Class

Shogo that was the first pc game i played where you could blow people apart and even kill a child (woah) I first played this when i was nine

4. Duke Nukem 3d
    Qauke
    All the Dooms :)

All games I loved to play when I was a kid :)

And now at the ripe old age of 19 I still love playing them :p hahah

5. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

I will always remember playing leisure suit larry when I was little and making him pee on stuff :D

6. Arrowsmith673

Arrowsmith673 Private E-2

I played a lot of RTS type games. my favorites had to be Comand and Conquer Red Alert and Total Anniahlation. I moved from those into first person shooters like Call of Duty and Medal of Honor both of those introduced me to the On-Line Gaming world.

7. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

GO FOR THE EYES, BOO! GO FOR THE EYES! :-D

I loved Baldur's Gate. :)

Best PC games ever though are, in no particular order:

The first two Fallout games
    Planescape: Torment
    The Witcher
    Baldur's Gate
    Dungeon Runners
    Arcanum: Or Steamworks and Magick Obscura
    Knights of the Old Republic

This list is not in order of preference. To try and stay true to the topic though...The first Fallout was the first PC game I bought which means it's the first PC game I ever owned. My parents made minimum wage as I was a kid, and gaming consoles were never an option when they were struggle to make rent and feed us properly. (To their credit, they did a fantastic job. I never realized it until now, but they did.) My gaming experiences were limited to what I could get when visiting friends.... who thankfully were sympathetic and understanding about it and let me have my own save files. :)

When I was 18 I moved out to go to college, and my dad gifted me his old computer, since his job issued him a new one. He said it would help me with research and writing papers. It had a Pentium III processor and a dedicated graphics card!!! and it was upgraded to Windows 95. It was, for its time, a little beast. A friend of mine lent me a copy of Fallout, and I of course installed it, intrigued by his insistence that I could use my PC as a gaming console, but with much better games and graphics than any Nintendo or Sega console. Mindful that my friend knew more about this than I did at the time, I also diligently followed his advice to patch and update the game before I started. Impatient, I rebooted the computer as soon as I could, for good measure, and then double-clicked the new shortcut on my desktop...

I stayed up playing until 4AM that morning. Thank god it was weekend. :major

I bought my own copy of the game as soon as I could, and I've been hooked on PC gaming, especially the RPGs, ever since.

Here's the intro, an immortal classic in itself:

[​IMG]

8. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

I'm pretty much in the same vein as Captain Qwerty, with two additions, Blood and Shadow Warrior! I still have all those games installed (except for Quake 3 and 4). With the ports they have out for those older games, they can be played at a higher resolution and OpenGL, which makes a world of difference. I just think that the older games have more 'personality' while the newer games are better looking, but rather bland when it comes to interaction.

9. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  10. Suff

Suff Private E-2

I simply cant believe doom or half life is not in here.
    Remember when half life came out? People sold there children to get there hands on it.
    Its personally one of the best games i have ever played hands down.
    They did come out with more source mods for it but they all sucked.
    The original half life is great.
    But my all time favorite at the moment is left 4 dead.

Attached Files:

11. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Did you ever play through it a second time, but as evil? The story completely changes. It's almost like a different game... It's fantastic. :)

12. disk00

disk00 Private E-2

Ahhh my first game was Epic Games pinball series on DOS. My favorite table, which i still own the original 3 1/2disk of, called Enigma! ah the memories. Then i moved on to games like Boppin ,another awesome game :p then Blake stone aliens of gold ( if thats right? i think) Loads of Apogge games ( i spelled it wrong i think but they are now known as 3D Realms). Oh did i forget to mention ABUSE? or FRABS? Man I actualy had nightmares from that game! never play that at night with headphones and all the lights turned off :p If anyone has it, we should Deathmatch on that sometime cuz that stuff still works :p

As for memories, my best memory is when me and my older brother and his friends had a Lan-party with Abuse it was so chaotic XD ill never forget it :D

I really do miss the old days when you didnt have to shell out like 50$ for the newest hardware to play your games!

13. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

My first pc game was from the early days of dos called zork.:-D
    But i also have fond memories of playing interstate 76, doom 1,2,3, & king's quest 6.:drool
    And also knights of the old republic 1 & 2:-D:-D

14. Arrowsmith673

Arrowsmith673 Private E-2

Kings Quest, I totally forgot about that game....killer graphics for it's time

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds