Html Code Showing?

Discussion in 'Software' started by horsesrme, Jun 12, 2006.

1. horsesrme

horsesrme Private E-2

I just had someone review my site and said my HTML code is showing. I have no idea what she meant. So how do I remove it, am I supposed to? Lost on all of this, please explain and inform me, thank you in advance!:)

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Perhaps you have some coding error that happens to properly display on the browser you use, but not on another brand of browser-- it still happens sometimes.

3. horsesrme

horsesrme Private E-2

I am so lost on all this computer talk, heck I have no idea what all the coding error on browser means, I think I get a little of it, do you mean the browser that she uses like firefox, internet explorer, etc....? Shows error when she viewed my site? Ok here comes the dumb question, what the heck is a HTML code? I just did the website according to instructions, I think I did it ok, been up for 2 years, seems ok to me.

4. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Yes to most of your questions. If you don't wish to post the URL here, PM me the link to it, and I'll look at it.

5. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

I see what they are talking about. Everything past the In Memoriam, i.e., the Links section is messed up-- it's not the browser. It appears that you are using some kind of publishing tool to create the page. I could show you how to fix it manually, but don't think you would be able to upload it directly.

6. horsesrme

horsesrme Private E-2

I am just using whatever is on the freeweb site. Wouldn't know how to do anything else. What do you mean it is messed up, what is messed up? When I view it, I can see nothing wrong. :confused:

7. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

In IE and Mozilla, all the links at the bottom are messed up in various ways. The webring section is also displaying improperly. This is what it looks like from here:

Attached Files:

8. horsesrme

horsesrme Private E-2

I probalbly didn't put the links in right, I just copied and pasted like they said. So how do I correct this?

9. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

I'm not familiar with the freewebs editing interface. If anyone else uses them, perhaps they could chime in here.

10. horsesrme

horsesrme Private E-2

Yes please do!:) I really would like to fix it and make it look right, have been on it all day off and on, trying to figure it out. Even got on their help page. But thanks to 'TheDoug' for answering my questions and helping me out.

11. Quinn

Quinn Private E-2

You've got tags that aren't closed. Some of the links are working, for example the one to AHQA. Probably what happened is you cut and pasted within a tag somewhere... at least that's usually what's wrong when I have the same problem! You can either go back through your source code and make sure every tag is closed, or pick one of the links that looks fine, copy it, and replace the urls.

12. horsesrme

horsesrme Private E-2

Well I have been going through and deleting the ones that you cannot click onto, is that what you are talking about? So maybe I am on the right track!?Not sure what you mean by; 'You've got tags that aren't closed'. You mean the links that don't seem to work? If so, I am working on that, thanks so much, and hey, anymore help, I appreciate!:) Thanks again! And Quinn, wow, you are from the UK, that is so cool, lol, I don't get out much!:)

13. Quinn

Quinn Private E-2

I don't get out much either. :)

This is a tag: <b> (it makes text bold)
    This is closed: <b></b> (only the text between the tags will be bold)

So if you have something like:

<p><b>This text should be bold and this text shouldn't </p>

Instead of <p><b>This text should be bold</b> and this text shouldn't </p>

You're going to get the whole sentence in bold text because in the first example the <b> tag wasn't closed. Did that make any sense?

I think you're definitely on the right track deleting the links that don't work, but I also think you may find a few open tags after you've replaced the links. I can try to help with that -- the Freewebs editor is such an annoying, featureless html editor that it makes it tough to find mistakes, I know. Anyway, I run IE and I'm happy to look at your page (and all the beautiful horses) when you're done with your links and let you know if I see anything that looks out of place.

14. horsesrme

horsesrme Private E-2

Lol not really, looks like algebra! LOL:) But that is ok, maybe if I read it enough times, it might sink in,:) I went through and got rid of some more, I am sure I will get feedback from some of the sites saying I am no longer on their list or whatever as links as I took thiers off, but whatever, someday I will go back and try again. But thanks and hey e-mail me anytime or we can hook up and chat on yahoo!

15. horsesrme

horsesrme Private E-2

Thanks everybody, I think I have it figured out!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds