Recovery disk

Discussion in 'Software' started by uselbi, Apr 15, 2007.

1. uselbi

uselbi Private E-2

I just built a new computer with an XP operation system and other software in it and would like to know how I can create a recovery disk for it?confused THANKS.

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Strictly you should be able to boot the pc and re install windows from you CD and so don't need another recovery cd.

Creating a clone or image copy of you hard drive is quicker but you need restore programs as well.

If you have a dvd writer and the money to buy a commercial program Norton Ghost or Acronis will make an exact copy of you hard drive to DVD, programs and all, before it gets too large to fit. They also provide the necessary control programs to boot the pc and restore the saved image to the hard drive. Remember to save this archive to a reliable make DVD not a supermarket discount offer one.

If you don't want to buy, perhaps another geek will explain if any of the free cloning programs also has a resore function?

Here are some other no cost things you can do.

I assume that you have activated your XP, and that you have a floppy drive.
    You will need three blank floppies.

Firstly copy the files wpa.dbl and wpa.bak from c:\windows\system32 to the floppy. These are your activation files. They will change every time you make a hardware change so copy them again afterwards. If you have to reinstall then simply substitute these for the one sthe new windows creates and you won't have to activate again.

Secondly create a password reset disk.
    Click your aaccount on the pick an account to change screen in controlpanel>users
    Click what do you want to change
    choose prevent forgotten password in the related tasks list
    follow the wizard that opens

Thirdly create an XP bootfloppy.
    This is used to boot the pc instead of the files on the hard drive after certain viruses or the boot process on the hard drive had become corrupt.
    Format a floppy and then
    copy the following files to it
    c:\boot.ini
    c:\ntldr (no extension)
    c:\ntdetect.com

Test the floppy.

Hope this helps

Studio T

3. uselbi

uselbi Private E-2

studiot
    Thaanks. I will give it a try.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds