the dumbest question maybe about drivers...

Discussion in 'Software' started by dnnyo, Jul 14, 2008.

1. dnnyo

dnnyo Private First Class

What if I download a driver that I don't need, or use.
    Will it interfere with the one I do need?
    Or will it just sit there and shut up?
    (I hope)
    I'm not worried about storage space.
    I have 80% free space on my hard drive! 80 Gb
    I need a driver for audio (I think),
    Can I just download whatever looks good and appropriate?
    Then if it doesn't work I will delete it later!

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

What if I download a driver that I don't need, or use.
    Why would you want to do that?

Or will it just sit there and shut up?
    (I hope)

If it's installed, yes it can cause problems.

I need a driver for audio (I think),

You had a thread going and never followed through.
    Not all driver problems are a simple install, problem solved, done deal.
    Even once the proper driver is installed, there may be configuration problems, services not running, conflicts, etc.

Can I just download whatever looks good and appropriate?
    Then if it doesn't work I will delete it later

You can but if not properly uninstalled, you may create a bigger, tougher install problem.

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

These are the steps I usually follow to get these things out of the way as problems.
    Check: Speakers connected? Do they work on another PC?
    Check: Master Volume control. (not muted)
    Check that Windows Audio Service is started.
    Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
    Scroll down the list of services until you find the Windows Audio service.
    Right click on it and choose Properties.
    Make sure it is set to Automatic and Start is checked.
    Check: Device Manager for bad drivers.
    For XP: Go to Start>Control Panel> System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager, then click the plus sign in front of Sound, Video, Game Controllers.
    For Vista: Go to Start>Control Panel>Device Manager
    In Device Manager, if there is a ? in front of your audio device, that means no audio driver is installed.
    A ! means driver installation attempted but with problems.
    Check: Why is the driver missing? Re-installed OS? Malware? Corrupt file? Deletion?
    Check: Are you getting error messages? What is the message?
    Check: Your audio mixer software (if installed) for a setting that mutes back panel audio if you have plugged headphones into a front panel audio solution. Uncheck: this setting to allow audio to both the back and front.
    Check: BIOS to insure on-board sound is enabled.
    As the PC starts, press one of these keys,
    (here is a list by manufacturer)http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
    Or the right key will be posted on the very first screen.
    Tap it until you enter set-up, then look for your audio (it should be in Advanced or in Integrated Peripherals)
    Make sure sound is set correctly, when finished. For Onboard Sound (Enabled) For an add-on Sound Card (Disabled)

4. dnnyo

dnnyo Private First Class

Thanks musksnipe,
    I posted this new thread because there are other drivers besides audio, I just never worried about drivers before.
    Then I needed a driver for my scanner. (I got it and it's working great)

So now I am all aware about drivers. (aware but not exactly educated...:eek:)

What I meant about downloading a driver I don't need is that if I get the wrong one by mistake... etc.

I'm still trying to find my phillips screwdriver so I can remove the case from my PC tower...:)
    I will follow up with that other thread about audio problems that we were working on.:hammer
    It's like I have 5 pots cooking on a 4 burner stovetop...:-D :wave

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Restore points usually work well, in a situation like that. Set one before installing a driver that may be questionable. (or before ANY driver install, just to be safe)
    There are times that I don't have enough info or the drivers are so hard to find and details limited, that there is a good chance the driver I suggest is the wrong one. System restore has always seemed to work to put things back right.
    (AND I do sometimes suggest the wrong driver) but that's between you and me. LOL

6. ahvenge

ahvenge Private E-2

My Microsoft Optical Mouse Blue USB and PS2 compatible, is behaving strangely, the lit will click on and off at random and inopportune times. I downloaded Driver Detective and it did show that my mouse drivers were outdated. Went to Microsoft site(a complete waste of time in my opinion) downloaded the drivers they stated was used for the mouse, then was asked to select my particular mouse by the name given on back. Well the name isn't in the list.

I don't know if it's a basic optical mouse basic optical mouse version 2 and this is all they have in the darn list. Help please.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds