Hope this is possible!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lawdog2705, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Lawdog2705

Lawdog2705 Private E-2

My daughter's laptop was stolen several months ago but, I have seen her screen name show up on my buddy list. Is there some way to find the IP address through IM to track the computer? Then hopefully track the person down!

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

If you have a Good Software Firewall and you keep the log you might find the IP that was connected at this specific time. However it is not going to be a big help. IP is not assigned to individually to people like a Social Security Number. You probably will end up with an IP from the pool of an ISP that are used over and assigned to many people around the clock. The ISP is not going to act as you detective and you probably will need to file legal complain and get involve in long term legal fight, just to be able to try to find who used the IP at a certain time.

:cool:

3. Lawdog2705

Lawdog2705 Private E-2

Thanks CAT5e. I guess I was hoping for the impossible. Either that or I've been watching too many movies...lol. Her screen name is on right now as I type so, it's just so frustrating knowing some gerk has something that I paid for and I can't get it back....aaahhhh! Thanks again though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds