Generic Host Process for System32 Services

Discussion in 'Software' started by imakraayz1, May 9, 2011.

1. imakraayz1

imakraayz1 Private E-2

Hello,

Suggested by Dr. Moriarty to post here after determining no malware is creating the issues I'm having.

I'm getting a Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close error message. I am using Windows XP Media Edition with SP3.

After working through malware issues with Dr. Moriarty:
    1) I am having issues with my computer switching from what appears to be normal mode to safe/classic mode. (I notice the bottom tray Start button change and when I click on it, all the icons look like they do in safe mode.)
    2) I have no sound from internet, (IE: Rhapsody, YouTube, etc.)
    3) It appears I am having issues with getting updates from windows.
    4) I keep getting a fatal error from Adobe when I try to update. It won't let me even delete program and try to reinstall.

Any efforts to help resolve these issues is appreciated. I realize my system is old in computer years, but not in a position to upgrade at this time!! Thanks again!

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, imakraayz1.

Do you have your Windows XP disk handy? If so, I suggest running a System File Check - a quick tutorial for doing so can be found here.

Meanwhile, we'll look through your Malware thread, see if we can come up with something for you.

3. imakraayz1

imakraayz1 Private E-2

Hello Caliban,

I purchased my computer from Dell some time ago, and it came with an operating system "Reinstallation DVD Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005." It states on the DVD to only use it for reinstalling the operating system and is not to reinstall programs or drivers. I am assuming therefor I do not have an actual Windows XP disk handy. However, we know what happens when assumptions are made, so I'll let you make that call!!

Thanks, and I'll wait for further instructions!!!

4. Caliban

Good morning.

The SFC requires a dedicated Windows disk, so that's out.

Do you have the capacity to burn CDs/DVDs? If so, you might try downloading the XP Recovery Console .iso, burning that file as an image to disk, and then booting to that disk to run the RC.

5. imakraayz1

imakraayz1 Private E-2

Good afternoon, Caliban.

Frustration sets in. I might just need to be grateful I can still get on the internet to pay my bills with this system. I've had issues with my burner for over a year. (I forgot to mention that in my earlier post, sorry!) I mostly use a flash drive instead of CD's, Dvd's. I get the blue screen and have to reboot whenever I put a disk in. Most of the time it won't even read the disk before it crashes. Today, is no exception!

Would it be possible to use a flash drive for this procedure, or did I just lose another paddle? My computer knowledge is really starting to show, huh?

I know your time is valuable and my system is old, so I have no problems with you saying it's time to upgrade, and moving on!! Either way, I appreciate it!!

6. Caliban

There are ways to create a bootable USB drive which might incorporate the XP RC - do a Google for "XP Recovery Console USB" and you'll see what I mean. However, with the state of your system as it is, I would be loathe to recommend copying possibly corrupt system files.

You might consider salvaging any important data and attempting to rebuild your system since you have the Dell reinstallation disk. If you can supply us with your Dell Service Tag # we should be able to find the correct drivers for your specific hardware.

7. Caliban

Also, quick question: you don't happen to have any printers or scanners attached to this machine, do you?

8. imakraayz1

imakraayz1 Private E-2

Hello Caliban,

I have an external hard drive to back up my system. However, there is no guarantee that what was saved to it isn't corrupt also, is there? Worse case, I do the reinstall and lose all, right!!

The service tag number is 5CFXR61.

And I have an all in 1 printer. (Copy, scan, fax)

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  9. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

10. Caliban

Hey, Dr. M.!

I had looked at that link previously, and was kind of put off by the comments - have not actually tried that particular procedure, but it does seem that many of the posters in that thread had problems.

The biggest issue I see is the fact that the contents of the i386 folder must be copied from the XP installation disk, which can't be accomplished by imakraayz1.

@ imakraayz1: You might try disconnecting the printer, reboot and see if your symptoms change - I've seen "Generic Host Process" problems caused by old and/or faulty printer drivers.

You Dell Service Tag # referenced a driver page that I looked at last night, but (of course) the Dell site seems to be having problems this morning, so I can't link you. Regardless, the tag # is valid, so we shouldn't have any problems grabbing your drivers if you do decide to go the reinstallation route.

11. Caliban

Also, is any other information given when you receive the error message? Affected module(s), dump txt., any info might prove helpful.

12. imakraayz1

imakraayz1 Private E-2

Dr. Moriarty,

Thanks for the posting! Neat to see you still checking on your patients, even after they are no longer in your care!! Speaks volumes of the type of people I'm blessed to have trying to help me with my situation.

Caliban,

That goes for you too!! What an awesome website/forum!! Since you found an issue with me trying to do the "USB recovery procedure", we will proceed in this direction!

I did try to disconnect the printer and reboot, but to no avail. I will give you all I could find concerning the Generic Host Error.

Error Signature:

szAppName: svchost.exe szAppVer: 5.1.2600.5512
    szModName: Kernel32.dll szModVer: 5.1.2600.5781 offset:0004c1ff

Technical Information:
    Files included in error report

c:\DOCUME~1\MIKE\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4e3e.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
    c:\DOCUME~1\MIKE\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4e3e.dir00\appcompat.txt

Had to end up doing another reboot and everything the same, except for the technical info at the WER. Second reboot was \WER9471.dir00\

I would like to also send you the Blue Screen Error that I got when trying to use my DVD burner, to see if you might have an idea what is causing that. Maybe that could be a simple fix, lol, and I could then burn the disk to run the RC.

Stop 0x0000008e (0xC0000005,0x806E794F,0xA7D8FAB8,0x00000000)

Or while I'm not looking, you could run away!!

13. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Here's what that technical information means http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_resolve_my_problem_with_appcompattxt.html
    so it is only useful to MS and not anyone here that would help with the problems.
    svhost v 5.1.2600.5512 on mine with a size of 14kb-16kb; there is another copy in
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
    See if you can replace the one in C:\WINDOWS\system32 with that one; perhaps it is corrupted. If you ran SFC (system file checker) it would probably the replace the one with another file from the dllcache.
    as far as Kernel32.dll, I have that in 4 locations. Aside from the normal C:\Windows\system32 and the dllcache, I have one at an uninstall patch and this is the patch
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...489b-bdc7-08bce9b2d4f6&displaylang=en&pf=true
    Check to see if you have kb959426 installed.

14. Caliban

Concerning the BSOD: make sure that your machine can save minidumps. Next, try to load a disk to make the machine crash, then save the minidump files to your desktop, zip them, and attach the .zip to your next post.

15. Caliban

16. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

I hadn't tried the procedure myself, Caliban - "Thanks" for the words of caution. (That malware thread of mine did have success with creating the bootable Win7 flashdrive without any problems... so I "assumed" (cough)....
    ;)

17. imakraayz1

imakraayz1 Private E-2

Caliban and Plodr,

Thanks for some more things to check. I will get to them, hopefully in the next day or two, and post results. I'm usually a little quicker than this, but last few days and the next few give me limited time. Thanks for your patience!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds