upgraded processor dosnt read ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cmcgowan, Jul 21, 2014.

1. cmcgowan

cmcgowan Private E-2

I upgraded my processor (using the compaq manual that came with the pc), before i upgraded the processor i upgraded the ram from a 1gb stick to a 4gb(pny ddr3 pc3-10666) stick and everything worked fine. with the new processor though it will not boot with the 4gb stick in it, if i down grade to the original 1gb stick that came with the pc the new processor will work fine. did i miss an update? i flashed the bios before installing the new processor and made sure that everything was up to date. prosessor is intel pentium e6500 2.93ghz dual-core, old processor is intel celeron e3200.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Most likely the most that unit will run is 2GB. Helps to know the model of the Compaq computer you have.

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

As brownizs said, your computer probably only supports a maximum of 2 GB of RAM.

My computer "supposedly" supports 4 GB but won't even go to the POST screen with 4 GB installed. I get 3 flashes of LEDs and the computer shuts off.

4. cmcgowan

cmcgowan Private E-2

As i tried to say in my original post, i upgraded the ram from 1gb to 4gb and it worked fine with the e3200. it was not untill i upgraded the processor to the e6500 that the 4gb stick does not work, it is a compaq 500B MT, i know the mobo supports up to 4gb of ram, i am wondering if the problem is in the manufaturer of the ram (PNY). i looked at there compatibility list and saw that there is no PNY 4gb(2x2gb) or single 4gb stick that is compatible with this processor. I just dont know how true that would be as i have seen that same compatiblity list be flawed before.

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Again. WHAT is the model number of the Compaq computer you have

6. cmcgowan

cmcgowan Private E-2

It is a Compaq 500B Micro Tower NV515UT#ABA, the only other things i have upgraded is the power supply (300 wat to 500wat) and switched out the cd drive with a blue ray. with the 4gb PNY memory in it i get 1 short beep and 1 long beep, HP says that that would indicate a memory problem. And if it helps here is a link to the online PDF manual for my make and model: http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04118381

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds