Ugh, Calculus (tehnically Alegebra) Help?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Adrynalyne, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Can someone tell me how function 1, reduces to equal function 2?

I can't get the algebra right on it.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2006
  2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I made a typo. Please refresh if you noticed it ;)

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I've worked it to this point:

Attached Files:

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

My brain hurts just from looking at all the numbers.

Thank god I don't have to study, I'm way too dumb for this.

5. Theosophist

Theosophist Private E-2

What is the first function? Is it the top line? Write that out separately then I'll find what it equals. I'm a little confused by what you've done. You can take the negative exponents and place them in the denominator then change the sign of the exponent. If you do that then take the cube root of the first term you end up with 2(2x-5)/(8x^2-5). The ^2 means squared. Make sense?

6. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

1- (12x^2-30x)/(8x^2-5)=(8x^2-5 - (12x^2-30x))/(8x^2-5)

then take the 1/(8x^2-5) to (8x^2-5)^-3 and make (8x^2-5)^-4

This is pure algebra and not calculus...

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I could have sworn thats what I said in the title...what you don't know is that this is just the end of a Calculus, yes Calculus problem. I didn't need help with that part.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2006
  8. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Re: Yummy Algebra...

Yes, I missed that part and only saw yummy maths. :D

Basically you were there and needed to make the substitution of the value of 1 by the equivalent (8x^2-5)/(8x^2-5) and collect the fractions. By the way all this fails when x = SQRT(5/8) because of the zero denominator and you may have to make allowances for that.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Re: Yummy Algebra...

I apprecaite the help. I was working on Calc all yesterday morning, my brain was fried, too. I don't know why I didn't see it before.

Oh well. Thanks :)

In re: to restricting the domain, the problem doesn't call for it, but good to keep in mind nonetheless. :)

10. Theosophist

Theosophist Private E-2

So the typo was the minus sign between the two terms? I guess I missed that part.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The typo was corrected before anyone else even posted in this thread :) It was a sign on the exponent. I fixed it before anyone replied though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds