XP Desktop Icon Delay

Discussion in 'Software' started by Grommet, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Grommet

Grommet Private E-2

Running a Dell 8200 with IE6 and Firefox2006. XP SP2 with all updates.

Noticed a significant delay if I click on a desktop icon that connects to the net.
    Other icons on desktop or in quick launch are normal.

Cleaned and deloused the machine, but it didn't help.

Then noticed that if either browser is open, the delay is gone.

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

"icon that connects to the net" meaning a shortcut to a webpage?

If I'm understanding you correctly, this means that the shortcut would have to 1. Connect to the internet
    2. Launch your browser
    3. Load the page.

If your browser is already open, you may get to skip step 1, and possibly step 2. I'd say this is normal behaviour.

If you're concerned about system performance, you might try following the steps in this thread

3. Grommet

Grommet Private E-2

Thanks for the reply.
    You are right, they are icons to web sites and it is almost normal operation in that after the delay the page loads normally except for the Windows error message. I wouldn't be concerned, except it started suddenly and is very annoying. It did not exhibit this behavior a week or so ago. This is typical malware behavior but I can't find any!
    The error message sez "Windows cannot find http:/xxxxxxxxx. Please check if you have typed the name correctly.........." and then the page loads just like it should.
    I suspect a configuration change or a field has been erased somewhere.

4. Grommet

Grommet Private E-2

Also, thanks for the suggestions but I have already been to Black Viper and followed the advice there and I use CCleaner regularly. I am convinced this is a fault of some kind, either operator, malware or failure induced.

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Hmmm... could you perhaps post a screenshot of the properties of one of these shortcuts as well as the error message? (the latter just for the sake of thoroughness)

6. Grommet

Grommet Private E-2

OK, I got the screen shot and copied it into Paint. Now the copy/paste commands won't work. Neither does ctrl-c and ctrl-v. So how do I enable the paste cmd in the forum?

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

There are two options for posting images here.
    1. Inline images - you'll have to upload it somewhere on the net, and when making your post, press the 'Insert Picture' button ([​IMG]) and paste the address of the pic in the prompt that appears.
    2. Post attachment - When making your post, press the 'Manage Attachments' button under the writing pane. This will allow you to browse you computer for the file. There are some filetype and size constraints here, however.

Sadly, both these options are useless if we can't make a file from our print screen. So, absolutely nothing happens when you press control+v to paste? Did you take a second print screen just to be certain the screen was copied to the clipboard?

8. Grommet

Grommet Private E-2

I did the manage attachments three times. All three files apparently transferred without errors, but all of them are bigger than 97kb, even when I zip them.

9. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Save as .gif, and you shouldn't have a problem.
    Sorry, I think I need a better link for screenshots.

10. Grommet

Grommet Private E-2

11. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

The link is fine. I've got the picture. Let me review, see what I can come up with.

[​IMG]

(for future reference, all you have to do is put [​IMG] at the back of the pictures address, and it will render like the above)

12. Grommet

Grommet Private E-2

Hi
    Forgot to mention, this is a broadband Cox system- it's on all the time so it shouldn't be a component of the delay!

It still seems to me that Windows is searching some cache or table, which it finally finds and goes to the right link. It also seems like this search precedes loading of the browser.

I tried rebuilding Winsock, but it didn't help.

13. Grommet

Grommet Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds