Printing nightmare, Virtual Windows 2008 R2 Terminal Server to Windows 2000 desktop.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hankyknot, Jan 18, 2011.

1. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

I may not be at my wits end, but I can see it from here.

I have just set up a new network. VMWARE eSXi on the server. On that there is a Windows 2008 R2 Domain Controller and a Windows 2008 R2 Terminal Server.

Connecting to the domain are Windows 2000 PC's. The users log into the domain and then connect to a Terminal Services session.

The three network printers are working beautifully.

Each user has either a local USB label printer, a parallel port HP 1100 or 1200, and one or two have both.

The label printers are a breeze. Add to the local machine make sure when a TS connection is made that the RDP client is set to import local resources\Printers and when the user checks Printers and Devices, there is their redirected label printer.

The HP's though are a whole other story. I have tried the same process as above but they don't show up. I have tried sharing them and then connecting to them and get a cannot connect to printer error. I have tried adding them as a local printer printing to the PRN port and they print but when the user logs out and back in Terminal Services send the print job to a TSxxx port which seems totally unrelated to the PRN port. I've even connected them via USB for those that have it and tried USB/parallel adaptors for those that dont and still no joy.

Server 2008 is supposed to have this super sexy printer thing that makes remote user printers a breeze but so far its not helping at all.

I am totally stumped and would appreciate any help at all that I could get to point me in the right direction.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds