what does "file extensions not allowed" mean?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by runfromabear, Feb 5, 2011.

1. runfromabear

runfromabear Private First Class

I was nto sure what forum category to post this under but I am trying to upload a file to be submitted to a site to be read, however, when I try and upload it it says file extensions not allowed.

What does this mean and how can I fix it? The file was typed in open office word. Thanks for any info.

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

To be read? what do you mean? are you submitting malware logs? Follow the guidelines in that forum if thats what this refers to.

3. runfromabear

I am actually submitting it to a company to be proofread. The give a browse option to upload your document but when I try and upload it that error comes up.

4. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

The site usually tells you what extensions are allowed and what the maximum size is. It might allow .doc (typical older Word document) but might not list .docx (the newer format). It depends on the site and what formats it can handle.

If you have file extensions hidden, you might not be aware of your file extension.

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Oh some other site? Probably just not in the right format, .doc or .pdf or what not, best option is to contact that site and figure out which extension they want or can accept.

6. runfromabear

Ok, that makes perfect sense. Is there anyway I can fix it??

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

8. runfromabear

Thank you very much. I got it to work!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds