Unable to open 'MyComputer'

Discussion in 'Software' started by juliansaul, Jul 30, 2004.

1. juliansaul

juliansaul Private E-2

This problem occurred right after downloading 'Hijack This' from this site.
    I am unable to access, either by double clicking the 'MyComputer' icon, or through 'Start,Settings,Control Panel' and also am unable to open 'Windows Explorer'.

When I attempt to do either of these my system just seems to 'freeze'.

I may be wrong but I think its due to a small window that opens, then closes itself just above the 'Start' bar, on rebooting.
    This file seems to be: C:\WIN98\SYSTEM\odbc.hta

Even if I close this file using 'CTRL-ALT-DELETE' then close program its 'MyComputer' blocking effect is still present.

Windows 98 version 2 is installed on my pc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

JS, as last resort, type in c:\windows\explorer.exe from the "Run" section of your START icon, bottom left of screen, usually.

Click on Start, select Run and then type c:\windows\explorer.exe and press <enter>.

It works, just now I tried it, on my W98SE laptop.

As per the previous posts, I think you have other problems not related to the HiJackThis download from MG. Follow the advice of previous posts and we wll fix it. Bazza

===

4. juliansaul

juliansaul Private E-2

Still !!! Unable to open 'MyComputer'

Thanks for the fast responses guys.

I downloaded and ran 'htastop' from the recommended article which did seem to get rid of the 'C:\WIN98\SYSTEM\odbc.hta' window on booting.

However I still couldn't open MyComputer---same freezing problem.

I also followed instructions as per BigBazza but on attempting to enter 'c:\windows\explorer.exe from the "Run" section of the START icon' I got the message "cannot find the file 'c:\windows\explorer.exe' (or one of its components)......

Any more ideas guys??---thanks in advance.

Julian

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Re: Still !!! Unable to open 'MyComputer'

Go with mastertech on this problem. Explorer.exe is the MS program to run Windows Explorer. That should be on every W98 system. Something naughty is on your PC. Keep us informed. Bazza

===

6. juliansaul

juliansaul Private E-2

Problem solved !!

I downloaded 'BigFix' from your site (diagnostics) which located and solved the problem.

I'm not at all technically minded when it comes to computers so I couldn't really tell you what it did but it worked !!

Thanks for your help.

J

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds