Computer goes into sleep mode and won't wake up?!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by askantik, Jul 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. askantik

askantik Sergeant

I have a customer's PC that has an Athlon XP Thoroughbred 1200 with 1.5 GB PC2100 memory, and an Abit motherboard, etc.

It boots up fine and will run sometimes only 30 seconds and sometimes 20 minutes when it gets to Windows XP, but then the computer goes into standby or hibernation or something by itself. I am going to try to look at power management in the control panel if I can get there before it goes to sleep again this time.

Why is it doing this? It will actually go into whatever mode it goes into while I am working on it. It isn't idle. And the computer doesn't actually power off. The monitor just says "Going to sleep," and the keyboard lights turn off. The CD tray will still open and all the fans and such in the PC are still going, so I wonder if it's just Windows being stupid.

Any ideas?

2. catbro6166

catbro6166 Corporal

Have you checked the bios settings you may be able to disable the sleep mode

3. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

definately sounds like a power management thing, my "sleep" key on my other keyboard was stupidly close to my tab and caps lock keys, and i would frequently hit it by accident thus resulting in a hibernation mode, grrr. Check the bios to see if any temperature alarms have been set as they can sometimes shut the system down without warning.

4. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Gonna check the BIOS and report back in a few minutes.

As for the sleep key, it's on an odd place on my keyboard and I don't ever hit it by accident 'cause of the location. I also turned all of the power management options to "Never turn off" and it still does it. Let me check the BIOS. Look for an update shortly :D

5. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

Do you Scan for Virus

6. askantik

askantik Sergeant

I tried looking in the BIOS and I don't see anything useful. Here's some information about temperatures that BIOS showed:

CPU Shutdown - 120°C/248°F
    CPU Warning - 85°C/185°F
    Shutdown when CPU fan fail - Disabled

Active Temperature - 70°C/168°F
    PWM Temperature - 49°C/120°F
    CPU Temperature - 44°/111°F

CPU fan speed - 2900 RPM
    NB fan speed - 5400 RPM

Also recorded this data from "Power Management Setup" in BIOS:

ACPI Suspend Type - S1(POS)
    Modem Use IRQ - NA
    Power Button Function - Instant off
    Run VGABIOS if S3 resume - Auto
    Restore on AC power loss - Power off

I also have the options to "Load Fail-safe defaults" and to "Load optimized defaults."

Should I try one of those and/or does anyone have any ideas? I'm stumped.

7. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Still fruitless...

8. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

dude the temperature for the CPU shut down is WAY too high, that should be at most 90C if it ever got to 120 it would be DEAD lol, also i dont think AMD cpus support thermal monitoring so if you do have that set, it should be unset, i had my bios set for it once and it wouldnt boot :( the stuff you showed me seems ok

on my bios the ACPI Standby state is set to S1(POS) Power on Suspend
    APM Power Management - Enabled
    i also have Stanby Time Out - Disabled and Suspend Time Out - Disabled (if you have those options)

9. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

Run VGABIOS if S3 resume - I do not have that option but it is responsible for Suspend to Ram , try changing it to Disabled.

if that fails, then by all means try the Load fail safe or Load optimized defaults

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds