How to find Windows XP Pro Validation Key?

Discussion in 'Software' started by blueisapitbull, Jul 25, 2007.

1. blueisapitbull

blueisapitbull Private E-2

Hi and thank you for any help!

I bought my Pentium III, Windows XP Pro, already installed.

I was going to ask if it's possible to highlight Registry Entries and have someone tell me which ones I can edit, to NOT start-up, every time I go on p.c., hoping it will give me a little more speed.

I was told to validate my copy of Windows but I don't know how to do that.

I have no p.c. training because I'm just a grandma, using it for emailing my grandkids and surfing for interesting stuff.

I hope you can help.

Many, many thanks.

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks, grandma geek.

I would seriously recommend leaving your registry well alone until you have a lot more experience.

There are many good ways to improve the efficency of XP without that.

Start by setting everything back to classic view and turn off all the glitzy effects.

4. blueisapitbull

Studiot:

Thanks! How do I "Get back to Classic View"? (Don't know what glitzy is, either).

I just figured out how to copy & paste the Link as it won't open in Outlook Express anymore.

Please tell me how I can speed up this old p.c.?

The text doesn't even type, until after I've typed the whole word. Takes the 'fun' out of using the p.c. when stuff is wrong, but I don't know what it is!

I appreciate your help.

Ann

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

To find out what's starting up, click the Start button, click Run and then click the Startup tab where you will find everything that starts when you boot. Uncheck the ones you don't need, ask here if you're not sure which ones to stop starting.

I would also suggest finding out how much RAM you have in there as increasing the amount from 256MB to 512MB did wonders for my old system, talk to the seller and if you can't we can tell you how to find out. Good luck Ann.

6. blueisapitbull

Thanks for your help!

I tried to highlight the Registry Items, to forward to you, so you could tell me which ones I can put on Manual, to give me some speed, but they will not highlight.

I can give you all the information that I found for this p.c., I was looking for the Windows Registry No. for validation, in order to proceed with trying to get the internet, (Mozilla Firefox bacause IER 7 is corrupt and I cannot delete it) up and running faster than the 7 minutes it takles, now.

Windows XP Pro version 2002 SP2 (Anne)

76487-002-3266846-22964

Intel Pentium III processor

601 MHz 192 MB of RAM

Computer name: anne-d3687274ff

That's all it says - I hope this is helpful. You are so helpful to me.

Thanks,

Ann

P.S. Am I back to Classic View? No glitzy? (Hope)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds