Is it possible to get a split screen on your TV using an HDMI Cable?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by runfromabear, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runfromabear

runfromabear Private First Class

I just hooked up my laptop to my 40" tv using an HDMI cable and was wondering if there was any way that I could set it up so that a could split the screen between my laptop and satellite. If this can be done any instructions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

What model is the TV? I do this on my TV all the time because it has a split screen feature. My son plays Wii and I watch satelitte.

If your TV has a split screen feature and you have devices on 2 different inputs, there should be a button for splitting the screen on your remote.

3. runfromabear

Ok, thanks for the tip. My TV is a Sony Bravio Flat Screen it does have an pip screen option but it is only available in PC Mode and it won't let me click on it right now. Currently my computer is hooked up with an HDMI cable. I am going to continue to work on this but if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. -Brent

4. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

It's going to depend on which model you have. For the KDL-40EX400, it's in the book. PIP isn't as nice as a split screen, my old sony splits it, but it will work.

The chart doesn't copy and I can't remember how to embed it. The manual is here http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/pdf/warranty/SEL-asset-183544.pdf - page 26. It should be similar for most models.

Using PIP Feature
    PIP (picture in picture) displays a picture from a connected PC in full screen, and a TV program or other external input (see below “To Enter PIP” table) in an inset window. (Closed Captions (CC) is not available with PIP mode.)
    To Enter PIP
    1 Press TOOLS while in the PC mode.
    2 Select PIP from the TOOLS menu.
    3 The sub window will appear.

To Change Channels
    You can change the channel of the sub window by pressing CH +/– or entering the channel number using the 0-9 numeric buttons.

To Exit from PIP
    1 Press TOOLS.
    2 Press V/v to highlight Exit PIP and press to exit to full PC screen.

To Swap Audio
    You can swap audio between the main and sub window.
    1 Press TOOLS.
    2 Press V/v to highlight Audio Swap and press .
    3 Press V/v to highlight the window to be audible, then press .

PIP Supported Inputs
    In main window .In sub window
    PC .TV channel
    .(CABLE/ANTENNA),
    .VIDEO IN 1/2, HDMI
    .IN 1/2/3/4 (video timing)

HDMI IN 1/2/3/4
    (PC timing) TV channel
    (CABLE/ANTENNA),
    VIDEO IN 1/2,
    COMPONENT IN 1/2

1 Press TOOLS while in the PC mode.
    2 Select PIP from the TOOLS menu.
    3 The sub window will appear.
    To Change Channels
    You can change the channel of the sub window
    by pressing CH +/– or entering the channel
    number using the 0-9 numeric buttons.

To Exit from PIP
    1 Press TOOLS.
    2 Press V/v to highlight Exit PIP and press
    to exit to full PC screen.

To Swap Audio
    You can swap audio between the main and sub
    window.
    1 Press TOOLS.
    2 Press V/v to highlight Audio Swap and press .
    3 Press V/v to highlight the window to be audible, then press .

5. runfromabear

Yes, I believe I have the KDL-40EX400 model. The instructions you posted are exactly what is in my user manual.

When I go into PC mode I can see the PIP option but my tv won't let me select it (it is gray). Does it have anything to do with the fact that I am hooking my laptop up to the tv using and HMDI cord and not a cord that goes into the PC slot on my tv?

6. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

It says in the chart that HDMI in spots 1-2-3-4 will work if the PC timing setting is turned on. How to do that is on another page. If you haven't done that yet, that might be all that you need. If you have done that already, see if you can all or chat with Sony support.

7. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Pages 28 & 46

8. amp4346

amp4346 Private E-2

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I need help with a split on our TV screen. We turn our system on it seems normally for 1-2 minutes, then the screen splits for another 1-2 minutes and the TV screen goes blank with lines. Does anybody have any ideas. I've hooked a DVD player direct to the TV and it works perfect so I know it's not the TV. Thanks, Tom T.

9. JoeMaMa21

JoeMaMa21 Private E-2

im new to this and i really want to know can u do a split screen on a element flat screen tv so like you can play video games and watch tv

10. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

JoeMaMa21,
    Please start a new thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds