Graphics card for Asus M4N68T-M-LE-V2 AMD motherboard apart from GeForce 7025/Nvidia?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by metakixrocker, Feb 9, 2011.

1. metakixrocker

metakixrocker Private E-2

Can i upgrade to an external chipset graphics card? And which graphics card is compatible with my motherboard?been playing brothers in arms:hells highway but it lags and is slow..at the moment i have GeForce 7025/Nvidia nForce 630A and have 500 GB HD space and 2GB RAM.If not what are the compatible external graphic cards for my motherboard? at the moment the game runs but it lags and is slow. I have XP SP2. And i dont want to cha nge my motherboard as i got this system just last week..

My system details:

ASUS M4N68T-M LE V2 ---Motherboard

CPU: AMD socket AM3; PHENOM II; ATHLIN II; SEMPRON 100 series processor

GeForce 7025/Nvidia nForce 630A; Memory 2xDIMM;MAX; 8GB DDR3

1800(O.C)/1333/1066 ECC, Non ECC, un-Buffered memory

500 GB HD space and 2 GB RAM

Rear Panel Ports

PS/2 : 2
    COM : 1
    LPT : 1
    Video Ports : D-Sub
    USB 1.1/2.0 : 4 x USB 2.0
    Audio Ports : 3 Ports
    Memory

Number of Memory Slots : 2×240pin
    Memory Standard : DDR3 1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066
    Maximum Memory Supported : 8GB
    Channel Supported : Dual Channel

Expansion Slots

PCI Express x16 : 1
    PCI Express x1 : 1
    PCI Slots : 2

Storage Devices

PATA : 1 x ATA133 2 Dev. Max
    SATA 3Gb/s : 4
    SATA RAID : 0/1/5/10/JBOD

Onboard Video

Onboard Video Chipset : NVIDIA GeForce 7025

Onboard Audio

Audio Chipset VIA : VT1708S
    Audio Channels : 8 Channels

Onboard LAN

Max LAN Speed : 10/100/1000Mbps

Thanks in advance

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Re: Graphics card for Asus M4N68T-M-LE-V2 AMD motherboard apart from GeForce 7025/Nvi

This would actually have been better suited for the hardware forum, but since you need a video card for gaming I'll do my best to help you out. ;)

First off, video cards for PCIe slots will fit in your board, so that part is easy. The question then becomes, what games do you want it to be able to handle? You mention Hell's Highway, but are there others you want to play as well? Your onboard video is good for being onboard, but at the same time there are a lot of dedicated cards that will be an improvement from what you have now. So do you want a short term fix, or are you looking to get a card that will get you set for a couple of years before you need to upgrade again?

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Re: Graphics card for Asus M4N68T-M-LE-V2 AMD motherboard apart from GeForce 7025/Nvi

Two more points to ponder :)

How much do you want to spend?

You may need a better power supply, can you find out the make/model# or specifications of the current PSU?

4. Mimsy

Good call, and my bad. Yeah, we definitely need to know your budget and PSU.

I also noticed that you're in India, and speaking as a European living in the the US now, it would help to know what your purchase options are. Is online better than local retail? Is local retail very focused on specific brands? That sort of thing. :)

5. metakixrocker

yeah am in india. well ,my budget is 6000/- which is around 130 to 150 US dollars. and i plan to keep it for a long term as well..been able to play call of duty 2 and other games but right now am focused on hells highway and resident evil:5.. speaking of online and retail, i normally go to the retail stores and buy it. The power supply i have is 450 WATTS..opened the cabinet and checked it...The motherboard is ASUS M4N68T-M LE V2 AMD series..has ASUS Anti-Surge Protection which prevents expensive devices and the motherboard from damage caused by power surges from switching power supply(PSU)..so which external graphics card would you recommend for this motherboard? something that would work on most high end games..and hope i dont hav to change my motherboard..

6. metakixrocker

Sorry..forgot to mention this. well retail purchase seems better out here ..

7. metakixrocker

OK..heres more specific details of the PSU...it says TECH-COM...450 WATTS, output voltage: +5V/-5V/+12V/-3.3V/+5VSB
    CURRENT(MAX)-25A/0.5A/10A/0.5A/14A/1.5A
    INPUT:230v/50HZ/3a
    AMD and Pentium Board supports..
    also mentioned a website :http://www.techcomindia.com/

could be chinese made or saumthing!! so hope this info helps in finding me a solution..appreciate you guys for trying to help ^_^

8. satrow

Hmm, I think I would have to class that PSU as a 'no-name' and assume that the outputs stated maybe somewhat 'optimistic'. The latest 'real' data I've seen for PSU reliability is here but you can see that even with the best brands, sometimes they make a bad PSU :(

It might be worth risking your current PSU for a few months while you save for a replacement with 500+W, providing the new card isn't too power-hungry and the PSU has the correct connector to power it.

If you only use a single monitor around 1280x1024 or 1360x768 resolution, a good 512MB DDR5 graphics card around $110-130 US should be good for most current games; 1GB+ cards are most useful with very large resolutions and multi-monitor setups.

I'm sure Mimsy will offer further suggestions and specifics to help you choose :)

9. metakixrocker

Thanks Satro!! Yup!! mines just a single monitor!! so any brand name for that graphics card that would be compatible with my motherboard? Heard ATI Radeon graphics cards are good. say X1600..or anything else that would power up my system gamming capabilities..Just keeping my fingers crossed..and yeah i really do appreciate any suggestions :)

10. metakixrocker

satrow :If you only use a single monitor around 1280x1024 or 1360x768 resolution, a good 512MB DDR5 graphics card around $110-130 US should be good for most current games; 1GB+ cards are most useful with very large resolutions and multi-monitor setups.

^^^
    Any name for the graphics card thats 512MB OR 1GB that would be compatible with my motherboard? tried googling but as always no info..:)

11. Mimsy

The PCU is definitely a concern... not only is the output low, especially if you want to add a video card, but PSU are not all the same, and not all created equal. Then again, as Satrow said, it may be worth risking it for a bit longer on a modest video card while saving up for a new PSU. I definitely suggest though that a new PSU is your next upgrade after a video card, and also that you avoid the non-name brands and go for a big established name. That will give you a reliable PSU and good value for your money.

Now for video cards... :)

Since you said you like ATI, here is a list of ATI-made cards from Newegg. I sorted them by rating, not price, but they can be found in the price range $100-$150 in most of the USA. Good brands are MSI, Sapphire, XFX, and ASUS, and a card in the HD 4000 series, or in the HD 5000 series will get you set with gaming for a couple of years.

Also, the cards on that list are all PCIe compatible, which means they'll work in your motherboard. Honestly, your motherboard is fine, I wouldn't worry about that. The PSU is more of a concern. Make sure you look at the PSU requirements for any card you are thinking of, before you buy it.

12. satrow

Hmm, I think the Radeon HD 5770 or GeForce GTS 250 (or GTS 450) would be about the highest cards you might afford, also probably the highest you'd be able to run on your current PSU (if it behaves); a safer bet, power consumption-wise would be the HD 5750. As to which brand to choose, it really depends on the exact models you look at, each brand might have a number of cards of that spec., each with their own 'unique' attributes.

Based solely on that earlier returns rate review, ASUS, PNY, Gigabyte and MSI look like the 'best' brands, at least for those cards sold between October 1st 2009 and April 1st 2010 for returns made before October 2010.

The GTS 250 was more reliable than the HD 5770 then (or returned less frequently).

Tom's has some reviews, concentrate on the power consumption differences if you want tom use your current PSU for a while before upgrading it.

EDIT: I was composing this while Mimsy was posting, so I hope there's no conflict, if there is, please go with her advice rather than mine ;) I'm just an amateur.

13. Mimsy

Likewise. :p My job is to know DRAM and SSDs, not video cards... they are just one of the most important pieces of my main hobby. ;)

I have a GTX 260 in my main desktop gaming system, and it's a fantastic card, but it does require a beast of a power supply. Before that I had a couple of 8800 GS cards in SLI, and in my current gaming laptop there is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730. And to give you a basis of comparison, Mass Effect and Dragon Age both look spectacular on the laptop.

The desktop HD5750 is a great card, and so is the 5770. It goes back to what I said earlier, that you can't really go wrong with an HD 5000 card. ATI seems to be making better drivers than nVidia these days.

14. metakixrocker

Thanks satrow and mimsy!! well both of u have been helpful..just want to know, how much WATTs PSU would u suggest me to go for..think i'll upgrade the PSU too than..and hope no compatibility issue for upgrading to a higher PSU with my motherboard :) am ready to upgrade both the PSU and the Graphics card.. so any suggestion is welcome!! and yeah satrow, u'v been helpful a lot and so have been mimsy!! hope u could help me out with a lil more info on the PSU WATT and the graphics card after the PSU upgrade;) cheers!!

15. satrow

A real 500 - 550W PSU from the likes of Antec etc., should see a good number of years of service. Find out what's available in your area and check for validated user comments on those models with a few bigger retail sites like newegg and ebuyer before committing your cash.

16. metakixrocker

Ok..than will look out for the 500-550 WATT PSU..and with this i can go for any good graphics card apart from the ones mentioned by you and mimsy?

17. satrow

A good 500-550W PSU will run any of the cards mentioned by Mimsy and myself :)

18. metakixrocker

Ok cool!! and hope its compatible with my motherboard? sorry for shooting too many questions..just dat i aint too good with computers

19. Mimsy

As long as you get a PCIe card, it will be compatible with your motherboard. The important thing for you to keep in mind is the video card's PSU requirements. For example, if the PSU requirements say "minimum 450W output" then you want to make sure that you get a PSU that is somewhat above that. Look for an established brand like Antec, Rosewill, Corsair, CoolerMaster...

Other than that, all that satrow just said. :)

Newegg's user reviews are a very good resource, they have a very knowledgeable customer base. And we will still be here as well, if you have more questions. :)

20. metakixrocker

Ok..than with this info ill give it a try..hope it works..i'll reply whne its done..thanks guys..u've been very helpful

21. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Please don't buy a Rosewill power supply they have shocking reliability and have built up a bad name for themselves on many other tech forums over the years, and stay away from the lower end Coolermaster psu's as they have massive amounts of ripple that can cause weird and wonderful issues in the future! Stick with Antec, Corsair, OCZ, Enermax, Seasonic and NZXT's new power supplies. Please don't be fooled by the man at the PC World equilivilent who will try to sell you a 800w generic power supply that will output less power than a 550w antec and will blow up in 4 months down the line, don't settle for anything but a one of the brand names i mentioned.

Regarding what Mimsy said about Recommended power for graphics cards, the wattage doesn't matter. I ran a GTX 480 (Uses about 4x the power of a 5770) on a corsair 520w power supply for about a year. But the same card with a 800w generic power supply wouldn't end so well. It's all about the Amps on the 12v rail, generic PSU's tend to have loads of rails with the amperage spread out accross them meaning they can't supply enough power when it is really needed, whereas power supplies from good brand names tend to have 1 or two rails that have a much higher Amp rating which means they can power a much more hungry card. Sorry i was waffling on there a bit, i hope that makes sense.

Regarding the video card the 5770 is a great shout, stay away from the GTS 250 as they tend to be overpriced for what they are, probably more so in India.

When buying a card, just chose the cheapest brand availible. Yes different brands have different warranty lenghts, but if you're card failed after 1 year you would have to ship it to the UK/US which is probably not something you'd want to do and would take weeks if not months if you did. So just pick up the cheapest 5770 you can find from a trusted retailer that has a RTB warranty of most likely 1 year.

22. metakixrocker

Thanks Burrell! with amazing info from Mimsy and satrow that has helped me a lot in narrowing down my searc, have decided on ATI HD 5770 but guess will have to wait another month for the PSU to be upgraded..This month would prolly go and get the 5770..so just for a month i hope its ok to run the 5770 on the exsisting 450 watts PSU? and yeah have decided either on Antec or Corsair..been doin some research on the PSU and the graphics card and its goin over my budget for one month so will have to split the upgrade into two seperate months..so first decided on the 5770 and next month on the 500-550 watt PSU :) hope dat works out fine..after all i want it to be a long term rather than short term upgrade

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  23. metakixrocker

well as i said..5770 couldnt find it...but theyr giving me an option for HD 5670..now checking the review of it..seems fine..what do ya think guys and girls?

24. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

5670 is huge drop down from the 5770 in terms of performance, but should still be able to what you are after.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5670,2533-9.html

25. metakixrocker

or maybe i should keep searching for the 5770 or 5750..cant believe that they dont have it in stock..will give another shot..well after all, all i need is for just gaming :confused if cant find 5770 guess will go with 5750..tht sounds appealing too when it comes to gaming

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  26. metakixrocker

Ok heres a list of 5770 i came accross..

5770 1GB DDR 5 XFX Price in INR-Rs.7400/-
    5670 IGB DDR 5 XFX Price in INR-Rs.5200/-
    ATI 5770 1GB DDR5 SAPPHIRE Price in INR-Rs.6700/-
    ATI 5670 1GB DDR-5 (SAPPHIRE)Price in INR-Rs.4800/-

Are these Stuffs good enough? man..out here the options sumtimes seems limited..Or maybe i need to search more..so hope these are good?

27. metakixrocker

Hey Guys!! Thanks for the advice..couldnt find 5750 or 5770 so ended up buying ATI 5670 1GB DDR-5 (SAPPHIRE) 1GB.. everything works well and since the GPU dosent eat up much power..its working on my current PSU..will upgrade the PSU next month..Here its quite difficult to find Corsair and other PSU.. I believe the avail brands are Coolermaster..Now Hells Highway runs smooth and loads fast..Hats off to ya all for your Kind Advice ;-)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds