Need Help With Hd Swap

Discussion in 'Software' started by scorch269, Feb 8, 2004.

1. scorch269

scorch269 Private E-2

to upgrade a friends pc, i used a 60Gb hd to replace his 7Gb hd. The

new hd had no OS on it. I left it in my pc to install XP, and a lot of

other stuff, intending to stick it into other pc when all was done.
    But it doesnt want to boot in old pc; though it can be seen as slave to

original 7Gb hd. My pc much better, 2GHz vs 800MHz; better AGP vid

card, etc. I'm gonna try dumping new vid drivers, etc., hope to have hd

configure itself to older pc. Must it be hooked to net at that time?

Meanwhile, doesnt XP have a emergency start-up disk available like

98SE? I cant find anything bout making one for XP. There must be a way

to plug in new hd and have it accepted. Please send advice. TIA

scorch

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

[/lurk]

What do you mean by "won't boot"? That's a really ambiguous problem. What makes you think it's a video card problem?

First thing I'd try is making the new HDD master and slaving the old one, and installing XP that way. It's not unheard of for a PC to only try to boot the master HDD.

3. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

If I understand you correctly you installed xp on the 60gig drive and other programs using your computer right, then you are trying to put that drive with xp operating system on your friends computer and your friends computer can see the drive but will not boot the os right.

If you installed everything on that 60 gig drive on your computer then the other computer will not be able to work it. whether you make it the master or the slave.

The operating system is setup to know your hardware not his. The only way it could possibly work is if both of you had similar or same hardware.

and even then I think xp would want to be activated again since all the new hardware has different serial numbers

The 7gig drive can see the 60 gig drive but the 7gigs drive's os still in charge. if you let the 60 gig be the master. I highly doubt it will work.

XP takes a picture of your hardware and that is how it gets the long code for activation. if it detects all new hardware you might have problems with that too.

You might want to install the 60 gigs on your friends computer and then install the XP operating system all over again.

Now all this is if I understood your post correctly

4. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

5. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

6. scorch269

scorch269 Private E-2

haha..Well i have plenty of 'sperience with jumper settings after foul ups in earliar years, 'sides it was the only drive installed. But since i just got through setting it up the way i wanted to deliver it, figured it simple enough to boot to cd, reinstall what i already knew would be the finished product. thanks for the ideas, m8s

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds