File association

Discussion in 'Software' started by sandi_sully, Jun 25, 2011.

1. sandi_sully

sandi_sully Private E-2

I'm a little sad because since installing Ubuntu, I have not had any reason to come to this site.... ie: no freakin problems - go figure!.
    Except this one, small weird thing.
    I have installed rythmbox and VLC as media players, after installing them, I cannot access my folders, ie:, when I click on places, downloads the media player pops up instead of the window. The only way to access the folder is to select Places, Computer. All other folders in the Places list will open the media player. I have uninstalled both programs and can then access my folders no prob, reinstall media player - have not even selected playlist or music folder, and can't access my folders directly.
    Small problem I know but annoying all the same, I guess it is like an 'associated file' in windows but not sure what the term in for Linux or how to fix it.
    Thanx in advance.

2. sandi_sully

sandi_sully Private E-2

Re: laptop external monitor on boot

I have another question, I have a laptop with a broken screen and of course windows has completely crashed, I cannot reinstall windows on it because it won't recognise an external monitor until all drivers are loaded ( I guess ) and I cannot see the laptop screen at all. Will Ubuntu recognise the external monitor straight away?? or is there a way to make it?

3. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

try System> Preferences > Preferred Application for a global quick fix.

Open Nautlius and right click and see if you have other options to open the file.

The laptop may or may not see the external video depending on your driver. A live CD may be the best route. Have you explored parts machines off ebay for repair?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds