Wireless not working. Ipconfig says media disconnected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by capo327, May 20, 2010.

1. capo327

capo327 Private E-2

Code:
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\default>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di
    sconnected.
    No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection 6 while it has its
    media disconnected.

C:\Documents and Settings\default>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di
    sconnected.
    No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection 6 while it has its
    media disconnected.

C:\Documents and Settings\default>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : computer
            Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
            Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
            IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
            WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Accton EN1207D Series PCI Fast Ether
    net Adapter
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-B5-EF-5A-F6

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
            Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1450 Dual-band (802.11
    a/b/g) USB2.0 Adapter #3
            Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-A5-9B-C7-6B

We moved the computer that was wired to the router to my bro's room, installed fresh xp, and used the wireless adapter from his old computer. I've spent hours using solutions I've found on google (ipconfig /renew, winsockfix, zero config, etc.) but nothing seems to work. Four other computers are using the wireless network just fine.

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

SO from your IPCONFIG I can see it is a Dell Wireless USB module. Which port do you have it plugged into, do you have the latest drivers, and does it work on other computers?

3. Alpx5

Alpx5 Private E-2

I have the same problem and have likewise done all the things listed to no avail. Love to hear there is a solution to this.

4. itmortiz

itmortiz Corporal

Media discconected is when the device is not reaching any network, with cord or wireless.

I guess if you put the cord cable it will work.

As i can see your problem is to setup the Wireless card correctly and connect to the Wireless Network..

I have to ask this questions because i don't know how much you know about computers, i'm not thinking you're an idiot ok? so:

1. Are you sure the modem you have spread WiFi signal and isn't only for cord cable, it have some antenna?

2. The Wi-Fi device doesn't detect any network?

3. In the device Manager there's a yellow signal (!) near to the Wi Fi Device?

4. Can you see some list of the Wi-Fi networks somewhere?

I want to help you but i guess my english isn't really good to explain many things.

5. Retirednow

Retirednow Private E-2

Open Device Manager and see if there are any red x's or yellow flags next to the network adapters. Let us know what you find/see.

6. canuckteach

canuckteach Private E-2

This thread popped up on a google search for 'media not connected' - I was able to solve this problem, and I wanted to add my findings here (I know this is an old thread),,,

"Ipconfig says media disconnected" - I finally resolved this problem when my 2nd PC (Win-XP-based) could not connect to the Web, despite the presence of an IP address, and assurance from the Wireless Manager that I WAS connected.
    Background: I had a valid wireless Network (from my HP triple-core Win7 PC) using a Rogers hi-speed modem, a D-Link dir615 router, an XP based PC with a stndard Dlink adapter. I was also able to connect a Samsung wireless Blu-Ray player (with ability to run Netflix and other Web-based services).
    - I upgraded my Rogers Service to its top level, acquiring a Cisco DPC3825 and EPC3825 8x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Residential Gateway modem. the Cisco has 4 inputs, and can handle its own Wireless network -- so, I took the Dlink router out of the loop. in no time, a new Network was ready with the Samsung and the HP PC connected to the Web via the Cisco modem, but the XP PC would NOT connect via its Dlink adapter. I tried re-conncting the Dlink Router to the Cisco, hoping to better communicate with the Dlink adapter. The Router acquired an IP address, and seemed to hook up to the XP-PC, but this was when I got the 'media not connected' message from ipconfig. I was ready to acquire and try a long ethernet cable instead.

Solution: A techie suggested I shut down the Dlink Router, UNINSTALL the dlink adapter in the XP PC (using System Devices from Control Panel), reboot, and see if the dlink adapter would re-install and find the Cisco network. IT DID - very quickly - no problem.

If you have a valid Wireless LAN, and a PC (esp XP-based) that will NOT connect, for mysterious reasons, try the solution above. the Wireless adapter may just need a clean slate.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
  7. rockets

rockets Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds