Routing and Remote Access unable to start - service-specific error 340

Discussion in 'Software' started by onelargeprawn, Jul 15, 2005.

1. onelargeprawn

onelargeprawn Private E-2

Hi Major Geeks,

I am running Windows XP SP1, AMD Athlon XP 2600+, with 1GB or RAM. I recently purchased an X-micro bluetooth adapter. What I want to do transfer some freeware applications to my Samsung D500 cellular phone.

I access my Network Connection, and choose to create an advanced connection to another computer directly, using COM5 (the port set aside for bluetooth). When I get to the Network Connection Wizard's Host or Guest Page, I select my computer as host, and I click Next. The computer thinks for a bit, and eventually, I get presented with an error saying "Incoming Connections depends on the Routing and Remote Access service which was unable to start.". I checked the Event Viewer and got this message:

"The Routing and Remote Access service terminated with service-specific error 340 (0x154)."

I have checked on the Internet for solutions, the majority say that I should check that NetBIOS is enabled in my TCP/IP network settings. This I have done, and it is indeed enabled. The problem still persists. I am unsure what other services Routing and Remote Access depends on.

A friend mentioned that it might indeed be a problem with SP1, and that I should reinstall it. This seems a rather drastic solution though.

Would anyone kindly help me with this problem? I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Ducky303

PS: In Event Viewer, I also found another error but I am unsure how it is related to the above problem. The error is for perflib and says:

The open procedure for service "WmiApRpl" in DLL "C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\wmiaprpl.dll" has taken longer than the established wait time to complete. There may be a problem with this extensible counter or the service it is collecting data from or the system may have been very busy when this call was attempted.

2. onelargeprawn

onelargeprawn Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds