Constantly getting "(Not Responding)" messages for Firefox

Discussion in 'Software' started by jimpeel, Aug 6, 2014.

1. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Every time I close a window or tab in Firefox the header will read "<page description> - Mozilla Firefox (Not Responding)" and it takes up to one minute to reset itself so I can continue. During that time I get the little rotating blue circle that means "You cannot do anything until I disappear."

I am using less than 2GB of the 8GB installed so it is not a paging problem.

Has anyone else seen this and what is the cure for getting rid of it?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

j

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

3. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I don't use any other browsers; but I could start using IE for a while to see if it is repeatable there also.

I am in Win 8.1 and I do have a couple of plugins/extensions installed --AdBlockPlus, AdBlockEdge, CookieMonster, Lastpass, MP3Rocket, ReminderFox, and Telify. They all seem to work well.

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

You should try using your IE to see if it's just FF. That would rule out something going on with your computer as apposed to just FF.

I would also go into your plugins and disable all of them. Go onto FF and see if you are having the same issues. If you aren't, you can start enabling your plugins one by one and see what might be causing the issue.

5. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

AdBlock Edge is a fork of AdBlock Plus. The main differences between the two is:
    AdBlock Plus will "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" by default where as AdBlock Edge does not.
    There are additional add-ons/extensions designed to work with AdBlock Plus that won't work with AdBlock Edge.​
    Probably shouldn't have both installed in the same browser.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds