Internet probs again

Discussion in 'Software' started by nickson2, May 27, 2004.

1. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

my 2nd pc wont load internet pages, ive tried several, its very slow and then "The page cannot be displayed" appears. The internet connection shows up in the "view network connections" and it does let me sign into MSN instant messenger. Ive attached a screenshot, just hope someone can help.........in the meantime i am running my Ad-aware and spybot programs to check for any probs, ive defragmented the hard drive this morning too, anything else I should do?
    Thanks, and sorry for being a nusiance

Attached Files:

2. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Dialup or broadband, and are you behind a router?

Try deleting your Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, and clear your History.

3. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

im on broadband...router? wots that, ive got an external broadband modem, and ive cleared temp int files, cookies and history.

4. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Did that fix it?

If you're using a firewall such as ZoneAlarm or the built-in XP firewall, disable it and see if that fixes it.

Also, open up a command prompt and type in ping google.com - what happens?

5. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

ive just shut down zone alam, and the 2nd pc is connecting to the internet, so i guess its summat to do with the firewall in zone alarm, ive tried to sort it but i dont know what im doing to be honest. Your helpfullness is greatfully appreciated.

6. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

disabling zone alarm fixed it, but im not protected with it disable am i? could you help me to configure it?

7. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

You're not protected with it disabled, but we're making progress.

Close IE.
    In ZA, go to Firewall > Main > Advanced, make sure the two top "Block....." boxes are UNchecked.
    Then go to Program Control > Programs tab and right-click on Internet Explorer, click Remove, Yes
    Then enable ZA again, open up IE, when the alert pops up put a check in "Remember this answer the next time......" click Yes

Now does it work?

8. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

I did the above, and it still wont let 2nd pc in unless zone alarm is disabled.... ive attached screenshot just incase ive done something obviously wrong.

Attached Files:

9. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Nothing obvious that I can see.

I've got to go now but DV8Cowboy is lurking around here somewhere. I've a feeling he'll come to your aid ;)

10. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

i goin grey rapidly, ive done what alan sez, ive done it a million times and the only time the 2nd pc will connect to internet is when zone alarm is disable.... wouldnt av minded but i only installed the new version of ZA yesterday, the old one was workin ok, wish i hadnt bothered..... have you any other recommendations for a firewall other than this ZA

11. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

ive uninstalled ZA 5 and gone back to ZA 4.5.594.000 and all is working well.... strange or what? if it asks me if i want to install the latest version should i say NO?

12. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

Its ok for you guys, u know what ur on about, us poor little women aint got a clue, or at least this one aint :rolleyes: :confused:

13. nickson2

nickson2 Master Sergeant

Re: No!!

Neva heard that quote before lol, ya reckon i should stick to the washin machine and iron? least i know what im doin with them, had enuff practice lol

14. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Guess I'll have to check out the new ver of ZA and see what all the fuss is about...:confused:

15. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I've also ununstalled latest version of ZA (v5) and gone back to ZA4.5 due to various minor problems that I can't put a finger on. Only yesterday,so too early to say, but so far so good.
    Maybe coincidence with ZA 5, but ???. Will wait a while for updates to ZA5 before I try again. Shades of Spyboy 1.3 rc 3, 4, 5 and Final haunt my memory. Yes, I do know that ZA have already released an update for ZA5. Bazza

=======

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds