Disk Boot Failure. Insert System Disk And Press Enter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Orbital57, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Orbital57

Orbital57 Private First Class

Hoping someone can give me a clue where to go from here.

PC was working fine this morning but this evening I turned it on to the error message in the title, no attempt to get to Windows, just the basic list of IRQ/DMA info and device list followed by the message in the title menu.

Since then I've got it to boot from the CD and everything looks fine in Windows. Everything is working, I've freed up some drive space, defragged (I was hoping there was some issue about disc space and the page file) turned off and rebooted. No change.

System is -

XP MCE (sp2)

2 Hard Drives -

Primary Master -
    C Drive (40GB partition)
    D Drive (160GB partition)

SATA 1 - (used for MCE file storage, films, music & photo's)
    E Drive (500GB non-partitioned)

Secondary Master -
    F Drive - DVD RAM drive

Is this simply a case of my 200GB drive failing slowly? If so I'll copy off all my data (if it lasts), list my software and buy a new primary drive and re-install. If not how can I fix it?

Thanks all,

Orb

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Your HDD is probably Failing, Download & run a Free Diagnostic utility from your HDD manufacture.

If your HDD is under warranty you will most likely need to run the utility anyway, if the drive fails the Diagnostics, it will provide a code thats probably be needed for manufactures RMA

I just had HDD crap out two weeks ago, I bought a Seagate 320GB SATA II for $85 at newegg :dancer 5yr warranty too:celebrate

3. Orbital57

Orbital57 Private First Class

Cheers ASUS. Will see what the diagnostics say and get back to you if there's anything other than 'yes it's knackered'.

At least I can still access the drive anyway, guess I should be thnakful.

Nice purchase, I'm tempted to RAID stripe a couple of drives for the new setup, save myself some hassle in future.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds