make pdf's from scans?

Discussion in 'Software' started by cssc, Jun 16, 2012.

1. cssc

cssc Guest

Hi,
    Want to know if there is a free pdf maker that I can make pdf's from, from already scanned documents. I have seen them say "scan to pdf" but not that I can take my scan jpegs & put them together in a pdf. Is this possible? Recommendations?
    Thank you.

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Your scanning software should have an option to directly save the scanned material to PDF.

For already existing scanned jpg images, search Google for "free jpeg to PDF converter'; there are dozens out there on the Internet (online converters, downloadable converters), and I have used several of them successfully.

3. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Cutepdf is what we use at work, and I use it at home. You just basically print to Cutepdf, as if you were printing to a printer. Very lightweight program.

5. cssc

cssc Guest

It's looking like I can only convert one jpeg at a time. But I need to be able to convert a whole file into a pdf. If I just wanted one page, I'd just print it out so I really don't see the point there!

6. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

With any one of the three I mentioned in my previous post, you can "insert/import" any number of graphics, including .JPGs, into one document. You can re-size, arrange and organize them to suit your needs.

Once you've done that you can export the document, containing all your JPEGs as a .PDF document. I would however, also save the document as a .DOC file in case you want to add or modify the file later on.

For your purposes, Kingsoft Writer would probably be your best bet of the three as it is the smallest download.

Seems to me there is a way to do what you want with CutePDF too. Takes a small amount of script work iirc. Will have to look around and see what I can find.

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Again, you can do that with Cutepdf, if each one is a separate file. Even if it is one large multiple paged file, you can still do the same with Cutepdf.

You really need to do your homework and look at the prospectives, before outright criticizing the suggestions you asked others to give. If you did not want help or suggestions, why did you post here in the first place.

8. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It does work. I have a folder with 61 pictures and I selected all 61 pictures at once to print with CutePDF. Each pic is a page in the resulting document.

9. cssc

cssc Guest

Brownizs- I was not criticizing people, but the programs I had checked out. I'm sorry you felt the need to internalize my statement, but I am not one of the many, many POS's on the Internet. I like this Site because everyone is so nice. Take a breath. :grouphug

Just playin- OK, I'll give cutepdf a try. If it doesn't work, it's probably that my computer is too dang old! LOL Um, I gotta download Ghostscript, too?

10. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Yes, you have to download the ghostscript package. Unless you are using a old P1 or P2, or a really old P3, cutepdf will run on anything running XP, that the machine is at least 10 years old. It ran fine on the 2.25ghz P4 I had at work for a while.

11. Ariana

Ariana Private E-2

If you have Word 07, you can import the pictures on there, and save it as a pdf.

12. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Why do that. More work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds