Which AntiVirus?

Discussion in 'Software' started by PrinZe_ALi, Jan 12, 2006.

1. PrinZe_ALi

PrinZe_ALi Private E-2

Which is antivirus should I get?

I want one which doesn't use up 2 much memory during scanning, and is great at finding viruses, and is reliable

Thanks

2. the1paulcole

the1paulcole Private E-2

AVG - Tis free. Never had a problem with it. Set it scan when you aren't likely to be using your computer and you won't encounter any performance issues.

3. PrinZe_ALi

PrinZe_ALi Private E-2

I heard it misses a lot of files during scanning

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

This topic has been discussed many times.

Do a search here, and read the stickies in the Malware Forum.

5. MDK

MDK Private E-2

All my friends and I use NOD32. That with ZoneAlarm Pro, I have no problems with viruses.

6. Franklin

Franklin Corporal

Yep,Nod32 is one of the best.But as I have a paid sub to Etrust vet engine it is what I use.

Thing is I only use my AV and Ewido as on demand scanners and run FF and OE through a virtualisation program.

Much safer than any signature based software.The latest WMF exploit was not detected by any AVs until they had their data bases updated to recognise the threat.

You should look into some of them.Sandboxie,Defensewall,Bufferzone and VMware to name a few.

Good Discussion here http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ under "privacy & other Anti-Malaware software on many of these apps.

7. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

I just installed BitDefender 8 Free Edition (it's the scanner only, no realtime shield) as a backup scanner to my AVG 7.1 Free resident AV. BitDefender is known for having very high detection rates, so I figure the combination should provide excellent protection, free.

The BitDefender scan can be set to run as Low priority, so it uses less memory and can run in the background while you run other tasks. Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?

Download: http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-14-en--BitDefender-8-Free-Edition.html

8. Fleabus

Fleabus Private First Class

9. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Have to disagree. A lot of lesser experienced users have trouble with the interface, one friend screwed up his pc with it. Point being, if someone has to ask, NOD32 is not for them. For the geeky, its a killer anti-virus program. Suggesting it to novices, not a good idea.

10. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

NOD32 - great detection rate, good on resources. Took some time to find the right combination for my PC. NOD32, Zonealarm firewall.

11. PrinZe_ALi

PrinZe_ALi Private E-2

thanks 4 warning me man. I aint a novice, nor a geek, so I wont download this.

12. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

There is a setup tutorial which I use for NOD32 its located here

As for a free antivirus I would use Avast. For a paid antivirus I would choose NOD32.

13. Major Attitude

Thanks for making my point. Novices dont want to, nor have the time, to read manuals. Thats why they are novices, or should I say, average computer users. Once your beyond simple installation, most people just dont want to be bothered. I cant blame them, I am the same way with many other things besides computers. Avast is pretty good, MajorGeeks has used AVG now for over 3 years and we are not only not infected, but also post virus free files here for the public.

14. PrinZe_ALi

PrinZe_ALi Private E-2

I'm surprised no ones mentioned PC-Cillin or McAfee.

15. Major Attitude

Because there are plenty of free anti-virus programs. Many commercial products tend to be bloated, require you re-subscribe every year and really dont offer anything for the money.

16. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

McAfee is good but only in Pro or Enterprise form, the retail Security Suite is a bloated lump like Norton ( having said that again Norton Enterprise versions are also fairly good ) they try to do too many things, add too many processes to your service list, when if they concentrated on just AV they would still be a great choice. Plus in the case of the free versions of AVs like AVG and Avast, they still use the same main scan engine as the full paid versions but have much simpler GUI and settings as to not over complicate the setup of your AV.. just install and run... simple!

I still use on my desktop an old McAfee VS Pro7 which is light on running processes and still protects good ( as I have never had a virus infestation ) but will most likely migrate to Avast as I have that on my laptop, and as the Major pointed out you have to update your subscription each year for the paid versions of AVs like McAfee/Norton etc ...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  17. PrinZe_ALi

PrinZe_ALi Private E-2

so, what shall I go 4?

18. Fleabus

We have already told you. AntiVir, Avast or AVG.
    All are free and work well.
    My preference is for AntiVir (link above).
    Pick one. ONLY one.
    Have it run as Resident/background.
    Update the database and manually scan often.
    If you get malware or suspect you have something,
    scan in Safe Mode.
    The malware may run in Normal and since Windows doesn't
    like to remove files it sees as active, a Safe Mode scan usually
    can remove the bad boys as they sleep.

Happy trailz,

19. PrinZe_ALi

PrinZe_ALi Private E-2

I have chose 2 download Avast 4

I'm going 2 use it 4 a while, see how it goes.
    thanks 4 all ur help guys

Appreciate it ;)

20. PrinZe_ALi

PrinZe_ALi Private E-2

Avast 4 gave me the BSOD
    Never touching that again

What i'm looking for in a software is its defintion rate. How good it is at finding viruses.

Which one shall I chose next?

21. Fleabus

Do you completely forget about previous posts
    as soon as you read them?
    There were at least 2 other programs recommended to you earlier and more than once.

Scroll up

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds