Realtek AC '97 Driver Issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by VentralChaos, Jun 4, 2008.

1. VentralChaos

VentralChaos Private E-2

So I just reinstalled windows vista ultimate (not from a recovery disk) and am having troubles getting the sound to work. My volume tray icon reads "No Audio Output Device is installed" so I go to the device manager and try uninstalling, reinstalling, etc. the "Realtek AC'97 Audio." This resulted in an error "This device cannot start. (Code 10)." So I look on the internet to download the driver and by this point have found and installed countless different drivers for it, none of them working (one of them got an audio device installed, vinyl realtek ac'97 but still produced no sound). So then I read that you have to ensure the motherboard is correctly installed...so I looked up what kind of motherboard I have (Intel 865G-M...although it seems there are various names for it, not sure which one is right) and attempted to install various drivers for that...all with no success. So...I come here reading numerous threads concerning this very topic although I think each case is somewhat specific...so if I could get a clear answer as to what exactly I need to install that would be really great! I posted my Everest report below (I removed a couple unrelated sections such as printers and graphics for size constraints)

Attached Files:

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

First, download and install your chipset drivers: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Downloads/DownloadFile.aspx?catid=1&driverid=2166&areaid=2&LanID=0
    Second, after a reboot, install the sound drivers: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Downloads/DownloadFile.aspx?catid=1&driverid=1773&areaid=2&LanID=0

Good luck!

(if you've already installed a sound driver that didn't work, be sure to uninstall it before doing anything)
    (the links above are direct; when clicked on, the download dialog opens up and doesn't take you to a web site)

3. VentralChaos

VentralChaos Private E-2

Thanks dlb!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds