offline old computer: how to use

Discussion in 'Software' started by sircutbored, Sep 26, 2009.

1. sircutbored

sircutbored Private E-2

Hello
    I have been given a a Packard Bell Club 533-C with 64MB RAM that my relative no longer wants. It runs windows 98 second edn. So far I have booted it up and opened up the documents. It is offline and I have no desire to put it online. To me it's a junk computer to experiment with and maybe put Puppy Linux on; my stuff for work is on a different computer andonline with Windows XP/Linux dual booted.

My question: how do I assess the malware state and disk health/total health of the offline computer? I would use Speedfan but that uses online stuff. It is quarantined for now; if I use any disk in it the disk is marked as such. Also, if I overwrite the whole OS with Linux will that get rid of any malware/viruses?

Also, any suggestions for experiemnts that help me to learn about computers would be good; it doesn't matter a lot of I ruin the computer in the process. It is a junk machine for experiments.

Thank you

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes if you are to use the PC offline as a test PC then yes any malware will be erased when you format and install Linux, I think that your idea to learn more about PCs will be great with learning to install Linux and or dual boot linux with Windows, but with the PC being offline, you will have to be transfering any drivers and updates to this PC via CD or USB.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds