Web Hosting

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Adrynalyne, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Looking for some opinions on web hosting companies.

I am currently with GoDaddy, but I need a Windows server (Im on Linux right now) for asp.net.

I found 1and1 for 1.99 a month, but am curious if anyone has any other suggestions in the same price range.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

1&1 usually has better pricing and (from what I've heard) good customer service.

Their slogan should be "We skipped Danica Patrick and the Super Bowl to pass the savings on to you." :-D

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Bwahaha, well played sir. :-D

4. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

I don't want to tell you how to suck eggs but you probably know that Go Daddy has windows accounts too ;)
    I have been using Go Daddy for about 10 years and the only times it has been down was for a couple of hours when they were doing upgrades. There are lots of bad reviews for Go Daddy service but they always get back to me within hours of an email and any problems have always been fixed ASAP (even when they were my fault lolol) :cool
    Here in Australia hosting is about 10 times dearer for quarter the storage and bandwidth :(

Just in case you don't know rolleyes
    http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/2520/should-i-choose-a-windows-or-linux-hosting-account

To enable asp.net on your Go Daddy windows account
    http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/6232/enabling-aspnet-40-on-your-windows-hosting-account

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yep, and GoDaddy wants 6.99 a month for me to switch servers. I've no interest in continuing for that price.

Hence the thread;)

6. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

another vote for 1&1 and another unhappy former GoDaddy user.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I was able to convert my account, but I will be switching in a few months to 1and1.

8. Shadowchaser

Shadowchaser A Really Great Guy

Hi my friend, long time no chat with. I used to be on 1 & 1 a long time ago but I really don't remember why I left them. I believe it was a mutual issue thing (they did something and I did something but I don't really remember). I am with Bluehost.com now and am completely satisfied, you may wish to check them out. IF and only IF you decide to go with Bluehost please let me know before you sign up. I'm an affiliate with them and if you go through me I get a little something in return. If I remember correctly 1&1 were a good hosting company it just was not for me. Have happy holidays my friend and may God bless your new year!

Yours,
    Jack

9. avalanch

avalanch Private E-2

I've tried 1&1 and hated them. I've since moved on to flipperhost. Here you go.

FlipLEB2
    1024MB Ram
    1024MB vSwap
    4 CPU Cores
    75GB RAID10 Diskspace
    2000GB Bandwidth
    1 IPv4 Address
    OpenVZ/SolusVM
    100Mbps Port
    $5.99/Month or $16.00/Quarterly
    Order Link

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

mmm, I'm not interested in paying 72 a year for hosting though.

Maybe though. Thanks for the suggestion :)

11. Shadowchaser

Adrynalyne,

Bluehost is running a special (like they normally do so I don't know why it is special) at $3.95 per month. This price is for either a 2 or 3 year contract with them. Lot's of good features included. As I said before if you decide to go that way let me know first. That would be $47.40 per year. TTYL my friend.

Jack

12. avalanch

avalanch Private E-2

Actually they only charge me $30 every 6 month's for that vps special.

13. 32bitXPSP3

32bitXPSP3 Private E-2

Bluehost is well know to be an overseller stay away from them.

14. Shadowchaser

I've never had a problem with BlueHost.....

15. 32bitXPSP3

32bitXPSP3 Private E-2

Well I have, I was admin for a small forum with few members and little traffic, there were frequent outages mostly short ones but some lasting about an hour cuz they are oversellers. I switched to a small time dedicate host and it was never down for a second and only cost 5 bucks a month.

Some outage is fine on a free host like 000host, but not when youre paying money for it.

BlueHost was out more that 000host.

16. akm

akm Sergeant

Just stepping into the discussion (after visiting MG, 'Domain registration'), kinda late, but also looking for some current thoughts on hosting services.
    Found the attached 2014 list, but didnt see HostMantis (1.99/mo) on the list.
    Am currently using them (and have had no major problems, their support service is pretty good), but looking for perhaps an 'independent update' on the subject. :confused
    Also, havent really checked into the attached list, but will start taking a look and get back, if anything pops out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I renewed with GoDaddy but only because I didn't have time to be making a switch and have a business site running.

That said, they are starting to oversell too.

18. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks for the reply ?
    Brain not very technology based (only enough to cause head-aches :-o ), but when you mention 'oversell', what does that indicate ?

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Overselling is when a host offers more hosting than they can supply.

In turn you get performance issues.

20. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks for the clarification !
    Also did some research and found a site that seems to explain a lot about web hosting requirements etc (kinda in line with what you have said)... at http://www.findmyhosting.com/basic-guide-to-web-hosting/ , along with, of course, some suggested providers (per attached pdf).
    But of course, nothing about HostMantis... maybe they couldnt get any compensation for putting HM on the list? ;)

Attached Files:

21. RobM11

RobM11 Private E-2

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I decided to continue this instead of making a new one.
    In short: I'm looking for a web hosting provider that is fast and has decent uptime. So far, I've only found this site ranking sites based on uptime & page speed: https://hostingfacts.com/hosting-reviews/ - however, I'm not sure how reliable it is...

Does anyone know any other hosting review sites or maybe case studies where people have examined hosting provider uptime and speed?

Thanks!
    Rob

22. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

Recommend on NO don't use GoDaddy It is a sink hole of ad's.People get suckered into using it.

23. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Rob

Yeah I hear you on this and difficult to choose who to go with as what maybe great for some can be crap for others, I have used https://www.melbourneit.com.au/ for a number of years as they have been good, weirdly I'm in the UK but as a part of a free Microsoft hosting thing many years ago, when they stopped it they had choices and Melbourne was one of them, need to for you look at the cost in AU$ vs US$

for reviews http://www.whoishostingthis.com/hosting-reviews/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds