Comcast customer tries to disconnect

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TimW, Jul 15, 2014.

1. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Oh. my. God.

That is crazy if that's not some kind of hoax. Is that for real?

I have to say, I dropped Comcast as soon as I possibly could when Verizon came into our area because of the abysmal customer service I had every time I needed something...not to mention our service would be out if the wind blew faster than 10 miles per hour, but that call was like nothing I've ever heard.

3. TimW

It's real, sadly enough.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

If Tom Cruise was in telesales this is what he'd sound like.:-D

5. Dandramere

Dandramere Private E-2

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2014
  6. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

The rep is really, really pushy and the man is incredibly patient but the rep had a good point, how can a company improve if people won't tell them what's wrong.

7. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

This is nothing. This is just aggravation over a phone call. When a friend of mine cancelled their satellite service they were charged over $500 via automatic bill pay the next day and subsequently bounced the rent check and the crap just cascaded from there for a while. They were reimbursed a portion of it when the satellite boxes that they had already FedEx'd back to the company before they even cancelled finally "processed". They still paid for 2 months of service that they never used. If this person on the recording had auto bill pay this may not be the last we hear of it.

8. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

How is it the customer's responsibility or obligation to help any company with market research? What incentive is there for a leaving customer to assist in any capacity? Who cares if Comcast improves after after you cancel a service as it is of no advantage to the customer who is leaving? This is pure bullying harassment because if Comcast were serious about market research they would have some sort of voluntary customer survey where if you participate you get some sort of reward.
    I would have hung up and cancelled via a lawyer's letter coz nobody needs this sort of crap in their life.
    The best thing here was the recording so now other people know to avoid doing business with Comcast ;)

9. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The problem is that all parties involved are at fault in this case. All Block and his wife had to do, was hang up the minute the rep kept rambling on and just take the equipment into the local walk-in center, as they eventually ended up doing. Or even just have one of their employees do it, since they are Billionaires.

The rep if he just stopped and listened, instead of playing company robot. Would have done away with a lot of grief for all, and this would never have been a blip on the radar.

The problem with Comcast Retention's is that they place such high expectations for keeping Churn down. The reps are afraid that they will be the next out the door. Plus the fact that Retention's is not even internal with Comcast. It is handled by a third party call center.

10. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The rep was on auto-drive and most likely did not even have his earpiece volume turned up. Basically another burnt out low paid Call Center rep, that management has set very high expectations for goals that can never be reached for retention's.

If the CSR just stopped and listened to the fact, that the customer was moving out of the area, and not into a Comcast area. The call would have never made the rounds, and it would have been over in probably a total of five minutes.

11. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

He really needs to work on his "spiel" :-D He sounds a bit flustered himself.

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

A customer's background or patience does not put them at fault.

There was no fault on his end. He was patient and persisted with what he wanted. Under no circumstance should a customer be considered at fault for not wanting to wait on hold for yet another rep to potentially deal with the same thing.

Also Block is not a billionaire, but who is counting once you are worth millions ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2014
  13. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Both are at fault. Ryan Block for treating the CSR like an underling, in how he tried to control the call. The CSR is at fault, for not listening to the customer. Case is that all parties involved are at fault in this case.

Block did this for nothing more as a way to bring his and his wife's name back into the limelight. That is all it is about, nothing more. He has made himself and his wife into bigger idiots for the fact, that they could have just hung up the phone and as I stated before. Take the equipment into the walk-in center and be done with everything.

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

He never did any such thing. In fact, had you not known who Block was, you wouldn't think that he treated him as such either. What he did do was be persistent and not want to hear anything the rep had to say, which is not treating someone like an underling. He might have treated him like he was an idiot (in a polite manner, LOL), but that was expected when the rep became belligerent, tried to talk over him, and did not listen.

Your idea of customer service and mine apparently are very different. If a rep doesn't listen to me, I am not going to be friendly and jovial about the situation too. The difference is, I would probably start yelling and shouting obscenities at the cretin.

15. TimW

Let's not forget that this recording is after his wife tried in vane to disconnect and got frustrated and handed the phone to her husband.

16. fitnlean

fitnlean I can't follow the rules

That was funny...but who lost out on that recording?

1. The comcast employee who was being paid to be on the phone

or

2. The customer who was spending time and was so stressed out he recorded and got mad at the customer service dude

why not answer the question with an answer, instead of wasing YOUR TIME *itching about the question?
    some examples:
    Sir, why do you want to cancel comcast
    A-I had my TV stolen/
    B-I'm moving to your moms house
    C-I'm killing myself
    D-I'm poor:wave

The Comcast guy isnt being paid to help you cancel. Why do you expect him to help you cancel?

The best part is free cable.
    I canceled my comcast, to put the service in someone elses name(to get a better rate) and for 6 weeks
    6 WEEKS

I had free cable
    This recording makes the guy who recorded it show off his idiocy.

17. joffa

Jeez fitnlean are you crazy :confused
    You have a very strange expectation of customer service :confused
    When I call customer service I expect to get help with my request and not get harassed ;)
    Stupid questions that don't affect the outcome should be eliminated from the company script and besides if someone wants to cancel their service it is only their business as to the reason why and they do not have to share ;)
    Even if you are cancelling they have a legal obligation to fulfil your request unless it is written in your contract that you have to cancel in writing rolleyes
    In my case if I ever have to cancel in writing then I never sign the contract and they lose the sale of their service to me ;)
    In my case I don't have any contracts for my power, gas, landline phone, cable internet or mobile phone so if they don't give good service then I am free to change at zero cost but the funny thing is I usually get very good service because these companies don't want to lose a 15+ year uncontracted customer :cool

18. fitnlean

I don't recall me giving my expectation of customer service.:confused
    You are crazy if you think I wrote about that, I was being a 3rd party/devils advocate, calling out what was actually happening.

I actually expect them to just give me money, rarely happens, but it DOES happen.

sure, I agree, and they should give me money,, but why should the company do that?

Legal? LOL oh :-D Yeah, cause I'm sure they have set up their system(getting/keep/retaining customers) in such a way that they are open to a zillion;) law suits cause you dont want to give them a sarcastic answer.:cry
    Right.... I hear ya!

IF you say so boss....rolleyes

seriously though, why did this dude, who recorded this conversation go to ALL this trouble instead of just giving a sarcastic answer to the question, "why do you want to cancel?"
    Seems like he needed some sleep or some food or maybe just some coffee:-D

5 Idiotic Misconceptions About Calling Customer Service
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-idiotic-misconceptions-about-calling-customer-service_p2/

19. joffa

DOH ..... sorry for not being psychic but just because you typed it rolleyes
    Who could have known you were really the devil's advocate and I thought that was just a movie roflmao

You still miss the point ... Why do you HAVE to answer their irrelevant questions when the questions have no affect on the outcome of cancelling your account??? :confused
    He recorded it because his wife had already been given a hard time and he wanted to be able to prove it actually happened ;)

Dayum I must have had brain fade so I skipped over your other irrelevant puerile crap......... sorry but time is money ;)

20. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Three words:

Legally binding contract.

If you don't have one, you absolutely must cancel upon request. That is the law. If they do not, they are open to a lawsuit. To be clear though, Comcast as a company does not have an issue canceling someone. The rep was just a prick.

21. fitnlean

whats psychic have to do with it?
    I just said what happened, and asked questions?
    I dont see where I gave an opinion if it was good or bad?

NP, try to read better, ight?

Right, the is what I asked/anserweed, right?
    the customer service dude has nothing else to do he's on the phone, he needs to keep your biz, you want to cancel, so you gotta deal with him

why dont you drive 100miles where ever you go?
    Consequences, bro.
    The service dude had no consequences.
    did the guy file a lawsuit?
    what happened to comcast cause of this video?
    learn the rules, then manipulate the rules. why did this guy cal them when he had to GO There anyway? LOLOLOLO
    seems absurd to me, but Im all about the LOLZ :-D

so now his wife knows he's a moron? HAHAHAHAHAH not a very bright guy.,.as we heard from the recording;)

you get it yet?
    no, oh well,

22. fitnlean

two words

:SO WHAT

Im sure in a few months, we'll all hear how this guy is RICH off the Legally binding contract that was violated.

ya think? no

well, then, I guess the guy is just a loser who had to give a sarcastic answer, even one involving the comcast guys mother,...and got mad about it when h e was called out to do it

I didnt say he wasnt a prick,
    I just called what happened,
    see, people only do or don't do stuff because of the consequences. was the gist of what I was saying.
    The guy recorded himself looking like a moron who has a temper issue

is he the hulk?:-D

23. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Did we listen to the same call?

The customer wasn't angry, just amused by the rep and decided to let everyone hear about how stupid he was.

24. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Pro tip to members who try to make new accounts to bypass their banned ones:

Learn a different posting style, LOL.

25. joffa

Obviously we must have heard it differently...... but probably not roflmao

Well spotted Jeremy LOL

.........still giggling roflmao

26. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Now that Comcast has gotten tired of everyone hammering them on their Facebook page. The little adult children in Philly. Are starting to block people from posting on their page, along with deleting pretty much every comment.

Guess they could not take it when the truth really hurts.

27. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Link? When I try to search Comcast on FB, all that comes up is a lot of 'Comcast Sucks' pages. LOL

28. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

You have to search for "Xfinity". I am giving them the boot on Wednesday. Going back to ATT UVerse, since it is obvious that they have children managing their company and cannot take the heat from the customers.

A lot of people have been posting since last Thursday that they are already signing up for other providers and ditching CC all together.

29. joffa

Looks like Comcast are people you don't want to deal with coz if you ever want to leave you will go through this bullsh*t because they offer huge bonuses to their retention officers when they can stop a customer from leaving rolleyes Comcast COO Dave Watson said in the above case the retention officer followed his training and performed well and is doing exactly what he is trained to do :crap
    Saw this on MG :-D

Maybe a class action by excustomers could cumulatively sue them for time wasting and loss of income whilst dealing with their highly trained retention staff trying anything just to stop them from leaving ;)

30. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

It took me about four tries joffa, to get it through the thick skull of the CSR I was on the phone with today, when I called in to cancel my Internet Service, after ATT got my Internet service setup.

I told her that I was just calling in to cancel service and did not need to be told about any retention specials. Told her straight up from the beginning that her time was valuable, there are others waiting for her to talk to, and I just needed to cancel.

I must have told her three times, that I would go out to the walk-in center and talk to a friend who is a supervisor out there. Finally after I told her that I did not need two ISP's and that other customers were waiting in queue. I think she finally got the idea that she was not going to get far.

You just have to know how to play their game, and be firm and professional in how you handle them. Treat them as if you are trying to tell your four year old, why they cannot have cookies, while you are fixing dinner.

The worse Customer Service unit that I dread calling. Is Bank of America's. At one point when they could not get stuff straightened out about our Home Insurance, when we switched from American Family to State Farm. I started to write nasty emails to them.

It finally took State Farm's lawyers, to get BoA to realize that they screwed up in the billing for Home Owner's Insurance. Add on top of that, trying to get them to understand that you know more about how accounting works. Some rep's figure that they spent six weeks in class. They think they know more then someone who has a financial degree, and has been around this kind of stuff for around 20 years.

31. joffa

You are lucky you know the strategy and if it was me they start paying attention when I start mentioning litigation from my lawyers or the ombudsman but let us say you are my 72 year old mother and put yourself in her position, or put yourself in place of my younger sister who isn't very assertive and see how well you would succeed in your objective of cancelling your account ;)
    This sort of retention strategy has almost been eliminated in Australia because at the first hint of trouble you hang up and then contact the Telecommunications Ombudsman's Department and lodge a complaint. When the ombudsman contacts the Telco, it costs them $3500 for the first complaint letter they send and then if the Telco doesn't fix the problem then it is $5000 per letter thereafter until the problem is fixed to the satisfaction of all parties. The Ombudsman acts outside the courts so if the Telco is serious an really wants to appeal the decision it will cost them at least $50,000 in court costs to to take their appeal into the County or Supreme Court and usually it just isn't worth it ;) This action stops big companies using frivolous court actions against wasting customer's time and leads to fast settlements ;)
    Over here, all the retention officer asks, "Is there anything we could offer you to stay" and if you name something they can offer then they say OK or then they say what they can offer and then that is the end of it as you either accept the offer or cancel the account.

In Australia we have a Banking Ombudsman, a Telecommunications Ombudsman, an Insurance Ombudsman, a Fair Work Ombudsman and for retail and business consumer protection we have the ACCC (Australian Competition & Consumer Commission) and then there is corporate protection from ASIC (Australian Securities & Investment Commission) then lastly, there is the Government Services Ombudsman for each state. These services are free to all members of the general public and are the first step in rectifying grievances but it does have to be a valid complaint :-D

In the late 1980's I bought a car on HP and the lender was an American company called AGC (Australian Guarantee Corporation) which then got bought out by GE Money (yes GE is General Electric) and after I paid off the car loan they kept sending me account keeping as well as yearly card replacement fees and when I tried to cancel the already fully paid out account, I found out I couldn't because there was no way to contact the cancellation department. This was in the days before we had the Ombudsman and although there are GE Money outlets in every shopping centre, you can't actually cancel your account at any of these outlets as they are only there for setting up new accounts or replacing cards or taking payments and then if you get too upset with the manager the security guard with a gun manning the door comes over and kicks you out. It took me over two years of effort and 5 or 6 letters sent by my lawyers to somewhere in America before I finally got a letter of release but they still call me every 5 or so years offering their services again even though I have requested several times in writing that I be deleted from their database rolleyes
    I will never deal with GE Money ever again and since Australia signed the free trade agreement with the USA, I will never deal with offshore American companies because they don't obey Australian consumer laws and openly flout them although ebay got caught out trying to enforce payment only by Paypal but the ACCC stepped in and it cost ebay over A$35 million in fines and A$10 million in costs ;) Then one year later in another case, they settled out of court for an undisclosed fine when they were told there had to be a returns policy with inclusion of a standard 7 day cooling off period for any brand new buy now items (in line with our Australian consumer rights). Ebay then set up offices over here so they could administer the Australian market according to the laws and now they follow the rules and are mostly a good corporate citizen now with few complaints :-D

The next group of companies that are in the ACCC sights for price fixing and collusion are the oil companies but this fight is probably bigger than the government :guns

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds